The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

This happened in a first round sub-state game. The lead official gives a very short blast on his whistle. It was obvious to me that it was inadvertent. IMO he anticipated a foul that did not occur. 'A' team scored the basket, B1 gets the ball to toss it to the lead official who just shakes his head "no" and points to put the ball into play.

Does an inadvertent whistle merit a dead ball situation? Or since team 'B' was taking the ball out of bounds anyway, was this a correct call?
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

By the book it is a dead ball. Are there sub's waiting to enter the game? Did the defense take off down the court? If there are no sub's and no defense trying to set up, I agree with the action. Just get the game going. What will be the benefit of stopping the clock for 2 seconds (or less) and then maybe having to explain why the clock stopped? If it is late in the game and the score is close, then the defense will be there and you have to follow the book.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
You can't ignore the whistle. You tell the kids to play the whistle. Why? So that when they hear it, they will STOP what they're doing. Usually, this keeps a physical situation from escalating. But if we tell them to play the whistle, then we have to expect that they will do so. If the defense stops playing at the whistle, then that's an unfair advantage for the offense.

Since the whistle blew before the ball went in the basket, you have 2 choices:

1) If the ball is still in the shooter's hand, then waive off the basket and award the ball back to the offense (since they had control at the time of the whistle).

2) If the ball has been released, then it's good if it goes and endline throw-in for B; if the shot does not go in then award the ball according to the AP.

You cannot ignore an official's whistle. Figure out when it happened and then decide where the ball was when it blew.

Chuck
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
This happened in a first round sub-state game. The lead official gives a very short blast on his whistle. It was obvious to me that it was inadvertent. IMO he anticipated a foul that did not occur. 'A' team scored the basket, B1 gets the ball to toss it to the lead official who just shakes his head "no" and points to put the ball into play.

Does an inadvertent whistle merit a dead ball situation? Or since team 'B' was taking the ball out of bounds anyway, was this a correct call?
When did the whistle happen?

If it was while the ball was still in A1's hand(s), then (by rule) the ball became dead on the whistle. No basket and give the ball back to A.

If it was after the ball left A1's hands, then count the basket and give the ball to B (whether the whistle came before or after the basket).
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

I saw this happen during girls regional in La a number of years ago. I traveled with these three big time college and state tourney level officials to watch them nail the game. There was an inadvertent whistle and the players paused. This gave the ball handler an open lane for a lay-up. All three officials made eye contact but they never called the ball dead. The guy who we thought had whistled told us at half time that it came from the crowd. They continued with a no call and the basket counted. It did not become a factor at the end of the game. I think they blew it.

If the whistle did come from the crowd, they should have immediately stopped the game. It was obvious (to me) that it did affect play. The technical to the home team may be an option here. If it was a ref's inadvertent whistle as we thought, there should have been an immediate second whistle to stop play with subsequent throw-in to make the ball live again.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I think ChuckElias is correct in the way to handle this situation.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

When did the whistle happen?

If it was while the ball was still in A1's hand(s), then (by rule) the ball became dead on the whistle. No basket and give the ball back to A.

If it was after the ball left A1's hands, then count the basket and give the ball to B (whether the whistle came before or after the basket).
[/B]
The whistle came after the shot. The lead even made a gesture like he was going to raise his fist for the foul, but then quickly lowered it. Like I said, I believe he anticipated the foul which never occurred. I was there to watch the officials that night to try and learn from them (which I did, they did a great job). The game was a given from the outset.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 03:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Isn't it great to have a job where you can "Whistle While You Work"?

Just call me Grumpy.

OK, OK - I know the "Dopey" jokes are going to come now.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
I saw this happen during girls regional in La a number of years ago. I traveled with these three big time college and state tourney level officials to watch them nail the game. There was an inadvertent whistle and the players paused. This gave the ball handler an open lane for a lay-up. All three officials made eye contact but they never called the ball dead. The guy who we thought had whistled told us at half time that it came from the crowd. They continued with a no call and the basket counted. It did not become a factor at the end of the game. I think they blew it.

If the whistle did come from the crowd, they should have immediately stopped the game. It was obvious (to me) that it did affect play. The technical to the home team may be an option here. If it was a ref's inadvertent whistle as we thought, there should have been an immediate second whistle to stop play with subsequent throw-in to make the ball live again.

Had a laser pointer in the crowd the other night- had to stop the game for that.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 10:10pm
Administrator

I had an inadvertent whistle tonight that I would have given anything to have been able to suck the sound back into the whistle.

The Visitors have the ball and are down by six points with less than forty seconds left in the game. We are a two man crew and I am Trail on the table side, right in front of Head Coach, Visitors. I am anticipating a timeout request by the Visitors if they score, which they do (score that is). Head Coach Visitors puts his hands up in a diamond shape that looks somewhat like the timeout signal and starts to shout diamond (the press he wants his team to use), but because my earing is as good as my eye sight and the crowd was really rocking, his diamond sounded like the start of timeout. You guessed it I put air in the whistle for a timeout for the Visitors.

As soon as I put air in the whistle, I knew I had blown (both the whistle and the call). We got the ball back into play immediately after I told both coaches that I had just made a very embarassing mistake.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 01:31am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:

Bob - even if the shooter had begun the continuous motion that normally leads to a shot? Tough sell here.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Question

What is IMO??????
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
...but because my earing is as good as my eye sight and the crowd was really rocking, his diamond sounded like the start of timeout...
Two things...
Mark, I have never seen you but I would never have taken you for an "ear ring" type of guy. Which ear? Discerning fans want to know!

Second, I have had several times I wanted to recall the sound from a whistle. If that's the worst you can do, YOU ARE THE MAN!

twh
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

IMO=In my opinion
IMHO=In my humble opinion
IMFO=In my humble opinion
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Bob - even if the shooter had begun the continuous motion that normally leads to a shot? Tough sell here.
Continuous motion applies only when there is a foul by the defense. It doesn't apply on an inadvertant whistle.