The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Well, in HS basketball, we do have a choice of two shirts. The black and white striped ones without the side panels, and the black and white striped ones with the side panels. The officials' manual doesn't ban the side paneled shirt. I don't see a problem with throwing the grey pinstripes in, that only gives us 4 options, all easy to keep up with. Some guys already have the grey ones because they work JUCO ball.
Not everyone has that choice. We can only wear one shirt.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
you must buy 9 different
While certainly not as many as in soccer or even baseball, we still have guys with 4: no side panel with and without flag, and side panels with and without flags.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
While certainly not as many as in soccer or even baseball, we still have guys with 4: no side panel with and without flag, and side panels with and without flags.
Again this is an area thing; I do not have a single shirt with a flag. It is not a requirement. The shirt thing falls at the feet of each association and I am sure there are associations that do not allow all those kinds of shirts in soccer either.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

I realize its an area thing, my only point was that having more than one or two shirts isn't THAT unusual.

I wish we'd ditch the flags and go side panel. My SP shirts have a stretch material that help keep my shirt tucked in without various other "tools."
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Grey's

This year womens NCAA formally said no to NCAA - or that is what was said to us a meeting.
We still wear them for the ORCC but as with Soccer that sets us up for having to carry 3 shirts per game, if the crew isn't communicating, and if there are Flags involved it could get up to six.
(I use a glue on flag so I only have to carry the flag and the glue not extra shirts.)

I really do not want to carry any more stuff in the bag - so no more shirts.

by the way the Big Ten uses the Grays for Wrestling now. and I think they did for one season in mens BB about 10 yrs ago,
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 07:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What's Black And White And Read All Over ???

In Connecticut, we have a choice of two shirts. A black and white striped shirt, or a white and black striped shirt. I personally prefer the white and black striped shirt. It accentuates my physique.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think I've seen a HS game with side-paneled refs. The only thing with panels out here are the trailer houses. Then again, I'm out in the boon-docks...
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In Connecticut, we have a choice of two shirts. A black and white striped shirt, or a white and black striped shirt. I personally prefer the white and black striped shirt. It accentuates my physique.
Don't white and black make gray?

Personally, I think the gray looks like you are working the bar at a country club.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 05:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
Guys you don't want to go there. I relate some other sport history. Soccer stated with Black as the only approved shirt color. Then they added 1 alternate color. That lasted ~4 years. Then they introduced 3 new colors, with a stripe pattern. Then started adding one new color every 2 or so years. Most recently added 1 more color BUT changed the stripe pattern, making all former shirts out of style. Comparing Basketball to Soccer it you work College and HS in basketball you have to have only 2 shirts 1 with wide side panel, one without. To work both levels of soccer and be properly equipped you must buy 9 different color and pattern combination in short sleeve and 9 in long sleeve.

Trust me you do not want to start this crap in Basketball.
Amen, brother.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:40am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
by the way the Big Ten uses the Grays for Wrestling now. and I think they did for one season in mens BB about 10 yrs ago,
If I'm not mistaken, the entire NCAA went to grey for wrestling, because I've seen it in the Big 12 (Nebraska fan here), and in Division II (Nebraska-Omaha and Nebraska-Kearney fan here). We get a lot of wrestling on our public TV channels here, between Nebraska and Iowa. Geee, I wonder why?