The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New grey shirts (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51382-new-grey-shirts.html)

CLH Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:08pm

New grey shirts

Has anyone heard of a new grey pinstripe shirt with side panels? I've been told they exist, but never seen them. Anyone have a link?

CH

ace Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:12pm

doubtful they're accepted anywhere. the original grey shirt had minimal acceptance...

CLH Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:18pm

Yeah they grey shirts are cool, if you're somewhat fit. I love 'em, but they just make a big guy look bigger.

ace Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH (Post 575092)
Yeah they grey shirts are cool, if you're somewhat fit. I love 'em, but they just make a big guy look bigger.

I've never found a grey shirt made me look any bigger than I already am... I personally like the look, but they're just never caught on.

The wide black stripe, I like as well.

Cubs Baseball Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:33pm

Gray Shirts

They can be found on NCAA sites for officials...the rumor had it that the colleges were going to adopt them about 4 years back...but no go...too bad; they are sharp!

This is one link for you: http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=BSH

you can find others...

eyezen Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:48pm

There was a time in the Big 8 that the refs wore the grey's

Here's a link from the '91 Conf Tourney

BillyMac Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:57pm

"Coz every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man." (ZZ Top)

When I first got started, back in the later part of the 20th century, IAABO had us wearing a gray jersey, with blue piping, that could be worn with either blue, or black pants.

BktBallRef Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:59pm

We were the gray pinstripes in NC.

zm1283 Tue Feb 03, 2009 01:15am

I really wish they would let us wear either the stripes or the grey with pinstripes. Give us a choice like baseball.

ref2coach Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 575167)
I really wish they would let us wear either the stripes or the grey with pinstripes. Give us a choice like baseball.

Guys you don't want to go there. I relate some other sport history. Soccer stated with Black as the only approved shirt color. Then they added 1 alternate color. That lasted ~4 years. Then they introduced 3 new colors, with a stripe pattern. Then started adding one new color every 2 or so years. Most recently added 1 more color BUT changed the stripe pattern, making all former shirts out of style. Comparing Basketball to Soccer it you work College and HS in basketball you have to have only 2 shirts 1 with wide side panel, one without. To work both levels of soccer and be properly equipped you must buy 9 different color and pattern combination in short sleeve and 9 in long sleeve.

Trust me you do not want to start this crap in Basketball. :mad:

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref2coach (Post 575250)
Guys you don't want to go there. I relate some other sport history. Soccer stated with Black as the only approved shirt color. Then they added 1 alternate color. That lasted ~4 years. Then they introduced 3 new colors, with a stripe pattern. Then started adding one new color every 2 or so years. Most recently added 1 more color BUT changed the stripe pattern, making all former shirts out of style. Comparing Basketball to Soccer it you work College and HS in basketball you have to have only 2 shirts 1 with wide side panel, one without. To work both levels of soccer and be properly equipped you must buy 9 different color and pattern combination in short sleeve and 9 in long sleeve.

Trust me you do not want to start this crap in Basketball. :mad:

Well, in HS basketball, we do have a choice of two shirts. The black and white striped ones without the side panels, and the black and white striped ones with the side panels. The officials' manual doesn't ban the side paneled shirt. I don't see a problem with throwing the grey pinstripes in, that only gives us 4 options, all easy to keep up with. Some guys already have the grey ones because they work JUCO ball.

ref2coach Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:37am

Additional colors or patterns are a solution looking for a problem.

Has anyone found a situation in which there is a uniform conflict where the black and white stripe shirt does not provide adequate differentiation between the referee crew and the players? Additional referee uniforms are a style issue. I have been subjected to the ridiculous extent of style vs need in a different sport and am suggesting don't give up the inch if you don't want to eventually pay for the mile. ;)

fullor30 Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 575117)
We were the gray pinstripes in NC.

What are you now? :-)

grunewar Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref2coach (Post 575277)
Has anyone found a situation in which there is a uniform conflict where the black and white stripe shirt does not provide adequate differentiation between the referee crew and the players?

Yikes! No. I've seen issues in soccer, but never personally in basketball that I can recall. Have you really?

Texas Aggie Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:03pm

Quote:

There was a time in the Big 8 that the refs wore the grey's
Those were an old version of the gray shirts. They were the same double knit poly material as the regular shirts were (at the time) and also had a zipper, but no byron collar. The Big 8, Metro, and Southwest Conferences, among maybe another 2 or three, wore the shirts. The ACC guys wore a different gray shirt (don't know details of material/style, but remember it on TV) that was more like the NBA shirt. This went on for 2 seasons and the NCAA changed the rule to "black and white striped" shirts.

The stripes have never looked good on TV, but maybe now that the lighter gray really can't be worn as a uniform, the NCAA might consider adopting it.