The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 12, 2006, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Grey Shirts

Are there certain states or areas that are wearing the grey shirts for this years upcoming basketball season? Does national federation leave it up to the states if they want to wear grey shirts or it is a unit decision if that particular unit will be wearing the grey shirts? Does a unit have to petition the state to wear the grey shirts? If you are them who makes the final decision on if the officials will wear the shirts?
Old Sat Aug 12, 2006, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

2-1-1 . . . The official's uniform shall be a black-and-white striped shirt, black pants, shoes and socks.

So strictly by the book the NFHS does not allow the grey shirt, but we all know that some local areas wear it. Those that do either have the blessing of their state association or their state office just doesn't care.
Old Sat Aug 12, 2006, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

There are some on the east coast that are wearing the greys now, and it seems like there is a bigger push in certain areas out here for the grey shirts. With the NFL changing their uniforms, and the state directors trying to make the game better for the officials, I predict in a few years that alot more states will be going to the grey shirts, it gives the officials a new look.
Old Sat Aug 12, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Here in Washington State, the gray shirts have been approved by the Washington Officials Association for two years. We have the option of wearing stripes or gray. Everyone in the crew has to have the same shirt of course. I cannot remember the last time any of my partners wanted to wear stripes. The new grays are very popular.

Z
Old Sat Aug 12, 2006, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioref3
There are some on the east coast that are wearing the greys now, and it seems like there is a bigger push in certain areas out here for the grey shirts. With the NFL changing their uniforms, and the state directors trying to make the game better for the officials, I predict in a few years that alot more states will be going to the grey shirts, it gives the officials a new look.
Speaking of the new NFL shirts, I thought us officials were supposed to NOT be noticed on the field/court. With these new things, they might as well be wearing lime green.
Old Sat Aug 12, 2006, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

In FIBA competitions the referees usually wear grey shirts, but there are countries in Europe where referees spot such bright colors as orange. The picture is from a game in Belgium
Old Sat Aug 12, 2006, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioref3
Are there certain states or areas that are wearing the grey shirts for this years upcoming basketball season? Does national federation leave it up to the states if they want to wear grey shirts or it is a unit decision if that particular unit will be wearing the grey shirts? Does a unit have to petition the state to wear the grey shirts? If you are them who makes the final decision on if the officials will wear the shirts?
Dude, you just started threads with these same questions in April and in May.

Are you obsessed or are you a vendor for gray shirts?

Get over it, it ain't happenin'.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Aug 12, 2006 at 08:26pm.
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 02:31pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
2-1-1 . . . The official's uniform shall be a black-and-white striped shirt, black pants, shoes and socks.
This has nothing to do with grey shirts, but I don't want to start a new thread.

But are the side-panel shirts "college" shirts. I know they were widely used in the tournament last year and that's how they are being advertised.

However, all the major sellers of official's gear (Honig's, Gerry Davis, etc.) don't say not for high school use (like they do for the CCA logo).

Nevadaref has provided the official's uniform reference... the shirt seems to meet the requirement....your thoughts for use in Fed games?
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 04:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
This has nothing to do with grey shirts, but I don't want to start a new thread.

But are the side-panel shirts "college" shirts. I know they were widely used in the tournament last year and that's how they are being advertised.

However, all the major sellers of official's gear (Honig's, Gerry Davis, etc.) don't say not for high school use (like they do for the CCA logo).

Nevadaref has provided the official's uniform reference... the shirt seems to meet the requirement....your thoughts for use in Fed games?
Unless there is something very specifically said I see no problem with these shirts being worn. I even asked this question of two well known people and I got different responses. So unless someone says something publicly or directly, then I see nothing with wearing them. Just understand that someone might at some point outlaw these shirts. The shirts are still black and white. The only difference is the panel which in my opinion is really not that noticeable.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

In Wisconsin our govverning federation body (WIAA) had declared that the wide panel shirt should not be worn. We are told they are illegal. I have a tough time finding out where they are declared illegal or why! I believe it is solely the decision of the person in Wiscionsin in charge of basketball.
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 11:44pm
M.A.S.H.

I agree with JRut. They are not that noticeable and the reason for the side panel is for a cooler shirt. I guess if the Fed doesn't want them, they'll have to be more specific in the book and state how wide the stripes have to be.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeref
In Wisconsin our govverning federation body (WIAA) had declared that the wide panel shirt should not be worn. We are told they are illegal. I have a tough time finding out where they are declared illegal or why! I believe it is solely the decision of the person in Wiscionsin in charge of basketball.
See there are other states declaring shirts legal and illegal... not just the Granite State.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeref
Mike, my guess would be that they wouldn't want officials in the same game wearing different shirts. So rather than required everyone to buy new shirts, they simply ban them.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I agree with JRut. They are not that noticeable and the reason for the side panel is for a cooler shirt.
How does the width of the black stripe make the shirt cooler (assuming you mean "temperature" and not "social acceptance")?
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 08:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Mike, my guess would be that they wouldn't want officials in the same game wearing different shirts. So rather than required everyone to buy new shirts, they simply ban them.
Essentially the same reason they give for why we can't wear anything but navy and powder blue in HS baseball......