The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
In math, a cylinder continues indefinitely.
In basketball, it basically extends to the ceiling. On an outdoor court, it would extend indefinitely upwards.
Which still means the ball can't go above the cylinder.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 06:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Wrong Cylinder ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
In math, a cylinder continues indefinitely.
It does? Don't you mean a right cylinder?

A cylinder is one of the most basic curvilinear geometric shapes, the surface formed by the points at a fixed distance from a given straight line, the axis of the cylinder. The solid enclosed by this surface and by two planes perpendicular to the axis is called a cylinder. In common usage, a cylinder is taken to mean a finite section of a right circular cylinder with its ends closed to form two circular surfaces.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It does? Don't you mean a right cylinder?
No, he doesn't. The "right" means that the "ends" of the finite section are perpendicular (at a "right angle") to the "sides".

In theory, a cylinder is analogous to a line -- it has no end points. As the rest of the quote shows, in practice, it's used as being analogous to a line segment.

IIRC (I don't have the books with me) the rule on "passing through" doesn't mention the cylinder. The only rule that does has to do with BI (and it uses a pharase like "the cylinder, the bottom end of which is the rim." So, rather than JohnnyRingo asking, "the ball needs to leave the cylinder?," he should have asked, "the entire ball needs to enter the cylinder?"
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 09:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The "right" means that the "ends" of the finite section are perpendicular (at a "right angle") to the "sides". In theory, a cylinder is analogous to a line, it has no end points. As the rest of the quote shows, in practice, it's used as being analogous to a line segment.
Thanks. I got it mixed up. This is what threw me: "A cylinder is taken to mean a finite section of a right circular cylinder with its ends closed to form two circular surfaces", from Wikepedia. How can one look at a finite section of something that is already finite? The definition implies that the right cylinder is infinite. Either I misunderstood the definition, or the definition is poorly written. I didn't follow my own rule here: It's alright to use Wikepedia for your first source, but don't use it as your only source.

In summary: A cylinder has no "top", or "bottom" (the circular planes), so the "sides" go on infinitely, the center being a line. A right cylinder has a "top", and a "bottom", perpendicular to the "sides", is therefore finite, the center being a line segment, and volume, and surface area, can be defined, and measured.

Our basketball cylinder, as described in basketball interference, has a bottom, the ring, but has no top, theoretically, the center being a ray, so it's not a true cylinder. Is is a right cylinder, with only a "bottom", and no "top"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 16, 2009 at 04:19pm.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Would you say that the ball, if going upward from underneath the basket, clears the ring that is when you would call the violation?
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
from Wikepedia.
There's your mistake.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
Would you say that the ball, if going upward from underneath the basket, clears the ring that is when you would call the violation?
Yes -- and, for me, personally, I wouldn't split hairs here. I'd give the benefit of the doubt to "it went through the basket."
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
from Wikepedia.
There's your mistake.
Right -- it's 'Wikipedia'.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How can one look at a finite section of something that is already finite?
Every section of a finite figure or solid is itself finite, including the section that constitutes the figure. Infinite figures are more difficult to define and depend on the kind of space (Euclidean, Reimannian, etc.).

Quote:
Our basketball cylinder, as described in basketball interference, has a bottom, the ring, but has no top, theoretically, the center being a ray, so it's not a true cylinder. Is it a right cylinder, with only a "bottom", and no "top"?
Technically not a right circular cylinder unless both ends are closed.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

What signal do you use for this violation? How about for a fist violation?
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 04:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Same signal you use for a throwin violation.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfalls57 View Post
What signal do you use for this violation? How about for a fist violation?
Since there is no specific signal for either violation, the normal accepted method is to simply blow the whistle and use the open palm for a violation, then verbalize the specifics. "Ball came up through the basket from below." "Used the fist." Since signals are simply a method of communication, some officials might use some sort of hand signal (maybe a fist into a palm for the fist violation, but be careful about trying to come up with a signal for ball up through the basket...). But it's usually better to stick with the approved signals, and simply use your voice to communicate the violations that do not have a signal associated with it.

The FT not contacting the rim is another example of a violation that doesn't have a signal. I've seen many officials use the "swirly"/reset the shot clock signal, but it is not an approved signal.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 05:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Would Be The "Funnest" Signal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I've seen many officials use the "swirly" signal, but it is not an approved signal.
I would love to see the NFHS make the "Swirly" an approved signal. Let's start a petition.

Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 05:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Since there is no specific signal for either violation, the normal accepted method is to simply blow the whistle and use the open palm for a violation, then verbalize the specifics. "Ball came up through the basket from below." "Used the fist." Since signals are simply a method of communication, some officials might use some sort of hand signal (maybe a fist into a palm for the fist violation, but be careful about trying to come up with a signal for ball up through the basket...). But it's usually better to stick with the approved signals, and simply use your voice to communicate the violations that do not have a signal associated with it.

The FT not contacting the rim is another example of a violation that doesn't have a signal. I've seen many officials use the "swirly"/reset the shot clock signal, but it is not an approved signal.

Kinda like the traveling signal on a throwin violation. It signifies a different violation.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 04:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would love to see the NFHS make the "Swirly" an approved signal. Let's start a petition.
I'll give you a swirly...