The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC
I think i know the answer, but I am not sure about this. I'll Try my best to describe the situation

Team A commits an inbounding violation by stepping over the baseline underneath team B's basket. Team B is then awarded the ball at that same spot. Now, I know team B is not allowed to run the baseline from this point after the initial infraction by Team A. Player taking the ball out on Team B is shuffling his feet p and down, taking about 8 steps, but all in the same place, basically like his jumping up and down. The referee blows his whistle and calls traveling. I asked him what why he called it traveling and he said because the inbounder took more than 1 step. I was thinking that its one step in either direction from the point of inbounds but with that call, now im unsure. Can someone clarify for me?

Thanks

Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

All I have to say is....

W H A T ? ? ? ?
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC

well, thats kinda what i was sayin to when it happened. Sorry if it seems confusing
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

I checked out sections of the NCAA book on throw-ins, out-of-bounds and the throw-in, travelling, and violations.

The only movement-related restrictions on the thrower in the situation you outlined are that they cannot leave the designated spot, and they may not step into the playing court. You can stand on your head to throw-in as long as you don't leave from the designated spot.

Not sure what that official was thinking.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

This wasn't another D-1 ref was it? :-)
Z

Quote:
Originally posted by South Bay HHVBC
I think i know the answer, but I am not sure about this. I'll Try my best to describe the situation

Team A commits an inbounding violation by stepping over the baseline underneath team B's basket. Team B is then awarded the ball at that same spot. Now, I know team B is not allowed to run the baseline from this point after the initial infraction by Team A. Player taking the ball out on Team B is shuffling his feet p and down, taking about 8 steps, but all in the same place, basically like his jumping up and down. The referee blows his whistle and calls traveling. I asked him what why he called it traveling and he said because the inbounder took more than 1 step. I was thinking that its one step in either direction from the point of inbounds but with that call, now im unsure. Can someone clarify for me?

Thanks

Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
This wasn't another D-1 ref was it? :-)
Z
OOOOOOOOH....SCORE A DIRECT HIT

I LOVE IT ! ! !
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Repeat after me

There is no travelling on an inbounds play. There is no. . .
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Designated spot is 3 feet wide, indeffintely deep. Only have to keep one foot over the designated spot.