The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

When to transfer vision in 2-man

I've posted a couple questions on here this season, and as a second year official, I've found it extremely helpful.

Let's say I'm the trail in 2-man system. A1 has the ball on the left wing guarded by B1, and starts a drive towards the middle of the lane.

At what point should my eyes stop watching the ball, since the play isn't technically in my primary anymore. Alot of times I find that B1 is between the Lead and A1, cutting off Lead's sightlines. Should I keep watching the play until I feel L has a clear sightline? Or is it the responsibility of the L regardless?
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I've posted a couple questions on here this season, and as a second year official, I've found it extremely helpful.

Let's say I'm the trail in 2-man system. A1 has the ball on the left wing guarded by B1, and starts a drive towards the middle of the lane.

At what point should my eyes stop watching the ball, since the play isn't technically in my primary anymore. Alot of times I find that B1 is between the Lead and A1, cutting off Lead's sightlines. Should I keep watching the play until I feel L has a clear sightline? Or is it the responsibility of the L regardless?

Stay with the ball until the L picks it up.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Usually we pregame that the official whose primary the drive starts from has the whole drive and the partner where the drive is going to has help defense. But its usually good to see the whole play through, and only look away when you see your partner pick it up.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Usually we pregame that the official whose primary the drive starts from has the whole drive and the partner where the drive is going to has help defense. But its usually good to see the whole play through, and only look away when you see your partner pick it up.
That sounds like a good plan...problem is I'm reffing intramurals with a lot of first years who just don't care that much!!

Hopefully I'll be getting my patch in Illinois for summer leagues.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When a player with the ball starts a drive to the basket from an official's primary area, that official has primary coverage of the player and the ball all the way to the basket - even if the ball moves to the other official's primary area.

It's great that you are thinking this through while you are not on the court. Be sure and pregame it with your partner.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
That sounds like a good plan...problem is I'm reffing intramurals with a lot of first years who just don't care that much!!

Hopefully I'll be getting my patch in Illinois for summer leagues.
For the record, you do not need a license to work summer ball since there is no IHSA jurisdiction for games.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
For the record, you do not need a license to work summer ball since there is no IHSA jurisdiction for games.

Peace
That's true from an IHSA perspective, but it is possible the summer league might require officials to be registered with the IHSA.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 05:15pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
That's true from an IHSA perspective, but it is possible the summer league might require officials to be registered with the IHSA.
Not only summer leagues, but some of the rec leagues and YMCA leagues, and so forth. Matter of fact, some leagues don't require it, but pay more if you are registered with your state association.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sounds like L is out of position. As the ball nears L's sideline, L should slide over to cover the line. In addition to being in the right place for OOB coverage, L will avoid being straight-lined on the drive to the basket.