The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quick question for everyone out there. In softball as well as baseball for Illinois, the IHSA has said no sunglasses while working the plate. For softball, sunglasses are acceptable on the bases, but not for baseball.

I wear hard contacts and due to this, my eyes are very sensitive to dusty conditions (i know, a baseball diamond's the wrong place for me). I could wear glasses, but I have very limited peripheral vision with them on whereas with contacts I see just like someone without corrective lenses. Would it be ok to wear sunglasses for this reason (as long as conditions warrant, obviously it's nearly impossible to wear them at night) at least on the bases for baseball. I don't normally have too much trouble behind the plate, but if the winds whipping while I'm in the field, I find that dust gets caught in my contacts very easily. Or, does anyone have an alternative suggestion for me? Any input would be appreciated.

-Josh
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

They still make hard contacts? Give soft lenses a try. I have been using them for years and they are very "dust friendly" and comfortable. A quick drop in the eye can remedy any dust or dryiness. If you still prefer the hard lenses, but can tolerate the soft ones, use the soft for officiating only. They are cheap enough online, you'd just need a visit with your eye doctor for the prescription. I know many guys wear glasses, but I would never choose them over contact lenses.

Why does IHSA concern themselves with umpires wearing sunglasses?

Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 11:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue
Quick question for everyone out there. In softball as well as baseball for Illinois, the IHSA has said no sunglasses while working the plate. For softball, sunglasses are acceptable on the bases, but not for baseball.
Who told you that it was not acceptable to wear sunglasses on the bases?

There were umpires at the Class AA State Finals that wore sunglasses during the games on the bases (and in the field) and I did not hear anyone suggest that was not OK.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

If you need something, find yourself a pair of non-tinted or slightly tinted glasses; similar to motorcycle glasses. This should help keep some of the dust out if indeed that rediculous rule exists. My personal preference is to not wear sunglasses on the bases, but I never wear sunglasses doing anything. However, there have been times I've wished I had them when working the bases. If an umpire feels that sunglasses help him perform better, why on earth would you tell him he can't wear them?
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

I've been wearing hard, gas permable lenses for 20 years. They still give you better vision than soft lenese, or at least that's what my opthomologist says.

I nearly always wear sunglasses on the bases. If it's windy at night, I have a pair of amber lensed Oakleys I use. I can wear either pair under a mask with no problem. Luckily, I don't work for any hillbilly associations that frown upon them.

Oakley makes very fine products for every application.

[Edited by kylejt on Jun 23rd, 2005 at 04:29 PM]
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

If it is daytime I wear sunglasses on bases. If it is daytime I wear sunglasses on plate if the sun is in front of me. I don't if it is behind me. I worked a game on bases tonight where the sun was setting out toward LF. I wore sunglasses when in the A, and when I moved to B or C I slipped them into my pants pocket because the sun was behind me. I work one high school field where the sun sets in CF and it would be very difficult to call the game from behind the plate as the sun sets withoout sunglasses. I don't know why the state would put umpires at disadvantage by not allowing sunglasses.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 05:53am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Safety glasses

Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue
... does anyone have an alternative suggestion for me? Any input would be appreciated.
Josh,
Clear, cheap safety glasses, wrap-around and many other styles, are easily available in many styles and colors at many hardware, building supply or construction equipment retailers. They are cheap enough to lose, break and replace.
mick
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

I need hard contacts because I can't get soft contacts in a strong enough perscription for my eyes (ok, let the cracks start coming about umpires being blind). I've got the gas permeable lenses that kyle talks about.

Rut-
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I was thinking somewhere in the Official's Handbook for IHSA it said that sunglasses weren't accepted. You seem to think otherwise and I could just be flat out wrong, in which case, my posting this question was pointless. I'll havde to check on that when I get home.

EDIT: I pulled the officials handbook off the IHSA website and only the softball section mentions sunglasses as part of the official uniform "sunglasses may be worn by BASE umpires only". I assumed since the baseball section didn't say anything about them, they weren't allowed at all. It must be if it doesn't say anything about it, then they're ok.

Thanks for the responses.

-Josh

[Edited by U_of_I_Blue on Jun 16th, 2005 at 09:10 AM]
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Glasses

I have had great service from the Safety Glasses USA website for various glasses sun and clear for work, shooting and baseball
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Another approach

You might try getting a letter from your ophthamologist stating that, given your situation, sunglasses behind the plate would be medically advisable. Usually associations will make exceptions to rules on the advice of a physician.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would complain about this, so maybe you can just keep such a letter on file in case of complaint.
Old Sat Jun 18, 2005, 05:44pm
M.A.S.H.

I never wear sunglasses when I work the plate. However, I do sometimes whenever I'm on the bases. I even change the lenses to a clear lens if it's windy and the sun isn't bothering me. As far as not being allowed to wear them, like JRut, I haven't heard this and I've seen several other umpires wear them.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Interchangables

I would get yourself a pair of interchangable sunglasses then. You can then swap out a clear lens for the plate and then put in the smoke lens for the bases. Not sure where you live in IL, but in Naperville there is a place called Performance Bicycle Shop on Rt. 59 that has several inexpensive models. You can also of course, find a pair at +pos.

Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 09:40pm
M.A.S.H.

Re: Interchangables

Quote:
Originally posted by Blu_IN
I would get yourself a pair of interchangable sunglasses then. You can then swap out a clear lens for the plate and then put in the smoke lens for the bases. Not sure where you live in IL, but in Naperville there is a place called Performance Bicycle Shop on Rt. 59 that has several inexpensive models. You can also of course, find a pair at +pos.

That's where mine are from, +POS.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'm from the central portion of the state near peoria. I wish I would have known about that shop last weekend, I was up in the area visiting some friends.

Tjones-

How are the +pos glasses? pros or cons?

-Josh
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

pos

I have a friend that uses them and he has never mentioned any problems. $54 for the +pos pair is still pretty darn cheap for interchangables. Plus you get the off color lens which are great for overcast days and when the sun is shifting between day and night. The off colors, orange with my pair, are awesome when driving in the rain too!