The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

I've read and re-read the article in "R"(sorry if your offended) Mag. Talking about the hand waving near an opponents eyes. Has anyone heard of any clarifying statements from NFHS on how this will be managed in game situations. I can see this happening:

Play 1: a)B1 waves his hand in front of A1 eyes and is 7.125 cm from the eyes of A1. b)B1 waves his hand in front of A1 eyes and is 7.5 cm from the eyes of A1. Ruling: a) Technical B) no Technical.

Not that I mind having to sell the tough call!!!!!

[Edited by garote on Sep 3rd, 2004 at 11:26 AM]
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I think this is an advantage disadvantage situation. If in your opinion, A1 is trying to catch a pass, and due to B1's attepmt to faceguard, A1 misses the pass, that will be a T.

I don't think you can judge this one by a distance of the hand in relation to the face, but rather the effectiveness of B1's attempt to shield A1's field of vision.

Hope that clarifies something.

That is how I will enforce it until I am told otherwise.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Your thread prompted me to check the NFHS web-site for an interpretation.... it hasn't arrived yet.

They do have the new signal chart out! Yippeeee! Signal #14 is the only one that confuses me; so if I've got a foul on a 3-point attempt and the basket goes, do I use 1 or 2 fingers to count the goal?

http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...ot=BK_FOOT.cfm
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

From an earliar post from someone with the new case book, it basically says, a hand in front of the eyes equals a T. The case plays are lacking, with no mention of the shooter at all.

You'd think after the 4-23 mess last season the FED would be more exact in what should be the proper interpretation of the rule.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Your thread prompted me to check the NFHS web-site for an interpretation.... it hasn't arrived yet.

They do have the new signal chart out! Yippeeee! Signal #14 is the only one that confuses me; so if I've got a foul on a 3-point attempt and the basket goes, do I use 1 or 2 fingers to count the goal?

http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...ot=BK_FOOT.cfm
I'd say you give the made basket and then the made 3 signal, that is what I've always done on the rare foul on a 3 point attempt.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

I really like the new signal for a made basket.

These new illustrations clear a lot up.

Before the made basket looked like it was just a motion with the wrist, now you see the whole arm is involved.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Can somebody explain signal #14 to me? Are we supposed to indicate the number of points scored after every score, like we used to in the old days? Then why does it say to use it after signal #13, which is the signal for a good basket, which we usually only give after a foul? Strange. Obviously, I'm just missing the point.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 09:57am
cingram

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Can somebody explain signal #14 to me? Are we supposed to indicate the number of points scored after every score, like we used to in the old days? Then why does it say to use it after signal #13, which is the signal for a good basket, which we usually only give after a foul? Strange. Obviously, I'm just missing the point.
While we are on the point has anybody ever seen a foul on a one point attempt?
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Trying to understand this myself...

If the closed fist is only raised to stop the clock for a foul (see signal #4), then signal #13 would be used to demonstrate a basket made during a foul is to be counted.

In reference to signal #14, I don't know why they wouldn't say to use 1 or 2 or 3 fingers after signal #13. (Why leave out 3 fingers?) We will certainly need to use signal #13 after a shooter is fouled on a three point shot that is good. Or when someone is fouled away from the ball and a three point shot is good.

The only instance I can think of when signal #13 would be used and then followed by a signal for 1 point would be when a team A player shoots and makes a foul shot and a team B player is called for a foul while that foul shot is being taken (or just after).

Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1

In reference to signal #14, I don't know why they wouldn't say to use 1 or 2 or 3 fingers after signal #13. (Why leave out 3 fingers?) We will certainly need to use signal #13 after a shooter is fouled on a three point shot that is good. Or when someone is fouled away from the ball and a three point shot is good.
My understanding of this is that one is supposed to use the signal that's already there to indicate a successful 3 point try. So you'd signal raised fist, then count basket, then give the "field goal" both arms up signal in this scenario.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1

My understanding of this is that one is supposed to use the signal that's already there to indicate a successful 3 point try. So you'd signal raised fist, then count basket, then give the "field goal" both arms up signal in this scenario.
Exactly right
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1

Okay. Makes sense to me.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cingram
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I've seen it. Foul on a rebounder during a free throw that eventually goes down. "Count the basket!"
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 02:24pm
cingram

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Quote:
Originally posted by cingram
I've seen it. Foul on a rebounder during a free throw that eventually goes down. "Count the basket!" [/B]
That makes sense. Although it may not happen all too often in a game there still is a chance that it could... hence the need for the signal.