The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting Situation Last Night

I was working a small school GV game. This was my partner's first varsity game. 3 minutes into the game we have a held ball. AP arrow in favor of White. As I'm watching the throw in I noticed Black got the ball and shot at the wrong basket and scored. My partner then blew his whistle because he discovered he erroneously gave black the ball for the throw-in.

In summary, we gave the wrong team the ball, then they shot/scored at the wrong basket. Then play ended when my partner discovered the error. Could I get input on this? I hate to say this, but we ended up giving white the ball and didn't award the points. Both coaches were fine with how it was handled and I took responsibility for it as I should have known to look at it. Other than that my partner did a fine job.

First time something that bizarre has happened to me in 5 years. At least the coaches were fine with how we handled it. I'm pretty sure we got it wrong though
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 12:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You're right, you were wrong.
Once it's inbounded, it's not correctable. I'd have awarded the points to white and given the ball to black for an endline throwin. No one can really complain with that one.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You're right, you were wrong.
Once it's inbounded, it's not correctable. I'd have awarded the points to white and given the ball to black for an endline throwin. No one can really complain with that one.
I agree

-Josh
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I figured I was wrong especially looking at rule 2-10 and that wasn't one of the instances for a correctable error.

Does the AP arrow stay put then?

I KNEW that's what we should have gone with. Always go with your gut instinct. And hope that never happens again! haha
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNref321 View Post
Yes. White will get the next AP throw-in -- assuming you administer it correctly
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

When you say him give the ball to Black why didn't you blow your whistle and stop the game?
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't even notice. There was some questionable activity going on as they tried to inbound the ball. I took responsibility as I should have verified the proper team had the ball. I blew it. One coach went to my partner to complain but I got her off my partner's back by letting her vent to me. It was his first varsity game and he was jumpy as it was. We are a team out there as well and I shouldn't have let that happen. I wish I caught that though as I normally do.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 03:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Did you talk to him later? How did he mess that up?
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

This happened in the first half so at halftime we talked about it. He had the jump ball signal. I made eye contact with him and verbalized and pointed that we have white ball. I even saw him point in the proper direction. However, the black team was rather young and didn't catch on and they moved to the designated throw-in spot and he didn't see who he was giving the ball to. I told him I should have made sure as well and helped him out but I was watching some activity during the throw-in. I told him he should try to make sure he sees who he's giving the ball to so this doesn't happen. This was his 2nd year officiating and is rather young. After that he did a fine job and he calmed down in the second half. This was a game I wouldn't want to have as my first. But at the same time you can learn quickly!
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNref321 View Post
I figured I was wrong especially looking at rule 2-10 and that wasn't one of the instances for a correctable error.

I KNEW that's what we should have gone with. Always go with your gut instinct. And hope that never happens again! haha
MNref321,
Here is the specific reference in the Case Book:
THROW-IN BY WRONG TEAM BY MISTAKE
*7.5.2 SITUATION A: Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. The administering official by mistake, puts the ball at B1' disposal. B1 completes the throw-in and Team B subsequently scores a goal. RULING: No correction can be made for the mistake by the official after the throw-in ends.

We had this discussion in another thread earlier in the week (Not a correctable error, but should it be?). You will see some interesting views in that thread. As you will see, I would like to see this scenario become a CE, but for now, you blundered (BUT, at least you blundered in a way the coaches felt was fair -- just lucky one of the coaches was not also an official).

....and, yes, the arrow stays....
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

2nd year and he's working a varsity game?
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
snaq it happens -- i worked a couple my first year and a few more my second, and then more my third.

There are some varsity games where 2 warm bodies will do, and where they make boys freshman look like a D1 college game.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

I know it! We didn't even get any guff from the fans as no one knew what to do. I've never had to deal with a correctable error so I learned quickly by getting burned by it.

I agree to that this should be a correctable error. This was our mistake. Even though the team should have known better and not shot at the wrong basket; if we administered the throw-in properly it wouldn't have happened in theory. This was our (referees') fault. We shouldn't punish a team because of our blunder. That was my mindset though... And I had an inkling the rest of the game I knew that wasn't right.

I learned... And now time to move on. I have a big game tonight to prepare for tonight. I will now be even more prepared.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He worked this game because the partner I was supposed to have suffered heart attack 2 weeks ago and had emergency quadrupedal bypass surgery. 45 and in good shape. He is ok though!
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good to hear he's ok.