The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I had an interesting event last night. There was a fast break and the player with the ball went up for a layup. Now the defender went up to block the ball and it was a clean block, but his hand was in the side of the offensive player and he clearly displace the shooter from my view. Of course the crowd went nuts when I called the foul. Its a good thing that I had a good look! Comments are welcome.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 08:42am
Jerry Blum

Key word that you used was 'displace'. If you judged that there was displacement then it is a good call. In this case if you judge displacement then the defender is gaining an advantage and you have to call the foul even if it is clean up top. Like I said sounds like you made the right call based on your judgement.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
I had an interesting event last night. There was a fast break and the player with the ball went up for a layup. Now the defender went up to block the ball and it was a clean block, but his hand was in the side of the offensive player and he clearly displace the shooter from my view. Of course the crowd went nuts when I called the foul. Its a good thing that I had a good look! Comments are welcome.
Although it's a non-standard FED mechanic, you can give a "push" signal with one hand down low, mimicing the actions of the player that caused the foul. You can also tap / slap yourself in the side at the spot of the foul.

Both will help communicate the reason for the foul to the coach (and any observant fans) and indicate that you didn't call the foul for the actions "up top" which is where everyone watches.

Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Actually what I did was like a push/sway move showing the coaches and crowd that the foul actually moved the player. I sold the call and of course the defender was saying it was a clean block and I said it sure was, but your hand in his side is what caught my attention!
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Actually what I did was like a push/sway move showing the coaches and crowd that the foul actually moved the player. I sold the call and of course the defender was saying it was a clean block and I said it sure was, but your hand in his side is what caught my attention!
Bingo!
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 04:18pm
M.A.S.H.

Like they've said, sounds like a good call. Whenever something like that happens, I usually smile on the inside cause I know all the fans were watching the ball. Kind of makes you feel good!
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Bingo!
Yep, I called two on the same girl last night for exactly that. After the first her coach asked what was the foul for & I told him a push to the body with the left hand. Didn't say a word after the 2nd, except to tell her to keep her hands up.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I agree with Bob, I'll use one hand and show a push down low for a preliminary signal when calling this foul..then when I report use the approved "push" mechanic..if coach asks tell him pushed the shooter with the off-hand. There may have been all ball up top but there's more to it than just "up there"