The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Help

Looking for some help .......... I've been licensed for 7 years and have moved up to Varsity level ball. I still work a lot of youth ball when I can because I like it and it is the reason I became an official. I have a couple of friends that became officials this year and have been working with them to improve their skills. One is very receptive and open to help and the other doesn't seem to be so open. He continually calls out of his area and "over officiates". They asked me to help them learn 3 man (this area is almost all 2 man) at a youth tournament. I stressed the importance of calling in your area and trusting each other. Midway through the game I have a player just in front of me (I'm C) with the ball and she is getting ready to make a pass and I hear a whistle. I look up and he (L) has called a travel on the player with the ball. At half time I talk with him about this and he said " she lifted her pivot foot otherwise I wouldn't have called it ". I told him #1 it wasn't a travel #2 it was out of his area #3 who was watching his area while he was making the call. In the same tournament I was working a 6th grade game with a non-patched official, the game was smooth, flowed and very easy to work. At half time my partner's knee is hurting so the above named official fills in................. the game came to a screeching halt. The last half (6 minute quarters) took almost 1 hour to complete, I thought his whistle was going to malfunction b/c of too much use. Does anyone have suggestions how to handle this ,,,,,, he is a friend and I want to help him.

Thanks
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 11:36am
Esteemed Participant

Two thoughts:

1)Get him to go to some good, higher level varsity games with you. Then concentrate on watching the officials. Make comments to him like "Did you see how that guy picked up that rotation?" "Now that's a great no-call", etc., etc. If he sees good officiating, maybe he will start to get it.

2)If the friendship is really important to you, stop reffing with him. Just don't be available on any of the nights he has games. Keep the friendship off the court. I have had to do that several times with guys who just didn't call the game the same way I do - we're still friends.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 11:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
2)If the friendship is really important to you, stop reffing with him. Just don't be available on any of the nights he has games. Keep the friendship off the court. I have had to do that several times with guys who just didn't call the game the same way I do - we're still friends.
That's not what Dan told me when we were in Hackensack.

BTW, all great advice for the OP.