View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

8th Grade girls A game - 3rd Report

I keep the stats for my daughters 8th grade A team games.

A few happenings of note.
1) Home game. 1st Quarter, 2 minutes to go, 1+1 sitch. 1st misses with lane violation. Second effort at the 1st shot goes in, B takes ball oob and away they go. I realize they didn't shoot the second free throw and try to politely alert the official running up the court. I am in the first row of the stands and am really just another fan to the official. And she has the game going on as opposed to stopping to chit chat with me. I am also across the floor from the teams and table. I try to let the coach know, again trying not to make a spectacle of myself. At this point I realize the time frame for the correctable error is gone. (While typing this I am thinking to myself that not giving a free throw does not fall under the CE. Hopefully someone will provide an answer for me).
At the beginning of the 2nd Qtr. the official spoke to me briefly as I set at midcourt, acknowledging the mistake. My response was, "If that is the worse thing that happens, it will still be a good game." I am stlightly irritated at the HOME table as they should have caught it.

2)In the 3rd Qtr., iWhile B is advancing the ball near mid-court following the 2nd free throw of a 1+1, the coach loudly announces there is still the second shot to shoot. Officials stop play. Coach sternly admonishes her girls to get back there for the second freethrow. The official took a second look at the coach and realized she wasn't addressing him. Officials then realize "We did shoot both free throws." Coach sheepishly bows her head and appologizes to all.

The Officials
Not the same crew as my previous posts.
One official (Him), the R I presume, was new to me. The other official (Her) I had seen before, but paired with a "rookie to organized officiating" official. Her looked much better paired with this stronger official. Him is looking to move up. He was ready to switch as required, which threw her off a little. It was really amazing how much better she appeared when paired with a stronger official.

I am going to Waco, Tx to watch Kansas vs. Baylor on the 2nd. I will post if there is anything of note.