The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
if the player fliped you the single finger salute - would you consider that Flagrant? I would!

Then why is there a big question about flipping off the crowd?
Depends on whether the player is flipping off someone in the crowd who has been on me all night!
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
You absolutely could, but I would ask how loud it was? If you were the only one that heard it, maybe go to the coach and say, "I heard F*&k from your bench. I'm not sure which player it was, but could you please address this so I don't have to?" Since you don't have definite knowledge of what player said it, this may be a better route to take.
Maybe not...

If the player or bench personnel just says the F word by itself it doesnt mean much to me. It all depends what else is said with it and how loud. I dont care if I am the only one who hears something if it is towards my partner and disrespectful, the bench is getting a T. If its just F and I hear it Im not going to say anything to the coach. Sometimes I hear things that I might not like but might be very accepted in that area or culture. As an official I do think I have to put my personal preferences aside to be truly impartial. Do I like some of the music player, NO, do I like it when a school does a pregame prayer, NO. Do i care, NO. I just dont prefer these but they dont have much to do with the game. Cursing is the same, I dont like to hear it on the court, but I do sometimes, and half the time it doesnt need any addressing.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 04:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
You absolutely could, but I would ask how loud it was? If you were the only one that heard it, maybe go to the coach and say, "I heard F*&k from your bench. I'm not sure which player it was, but could you please address this so I don't have to?" Since you don't have definite knowledge of what player said it, this may be a better route to take.
Absolutely terrible advice imo.

If a player told you to "f**k off", would you let that go also if you were the only one to hear it?

If you hear it, call it! Period!

And don't make up excuses as to why you shouldn't call it either. That's very telling.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 04:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Absolutely terrible advice imo.

If a player told you to "f**k off", would you let that go also if you were the only one to hear it?

If you hear it, call it! Period!

And don't make up excuses as to why you shouldn't call it either. That's very telling.
God is in His Heaven, and all is right with the world.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Blue View Post
Depends if I thought the coach would handel it so I didn't have to.

I know most of the coaches and their styles. Most would only allow the wave 1 time.

Before you jump on me- remember this is a judgment call!
He must think he's the Messiah.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

what about this situation. let's say you have a HS V game. the fans are getting on the opposing team, maybe nothing so egregious that it's immediately considered unacceptable to all involved (i know AD's try to keep crowd control, and it's subject to what each person thinks is an acceptable cheer, but let's say they're doing some namecalling, maybe swear word thrown in there here and there. they're getting on the players, doing what student sections do. eventually one of the opposing players gets tired of it, because they have been giving him crap, nothing you would automatically think to eject a specator for, but its been coming consistantly a and throws a quick finger to the student section. do you T the player for the finger? do you T the crowd for unsportsmanship for baiting the player into giving the T? do you T both teams and warn that any players/spectators doing anything suspect from this point on will be immediately ejected?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I T the player giving the finger. I can't control the fans, but whatever happens on the court I have to control.

That's like saying you don't eject the player who fights back after getting hit. Self defense or no, you gotta go.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
Yes, I T the player giving the finger. I can't control the fans, but whatever happens on the court I have to control.

That's like saying you don't eject the player who fights back after getting hit. Self defense or no, you gotta go.
I see what you're saying.

i've reasoned that If I or my partner doesn't feel the crowd has been malicious, then its on the player to suck it up and not loose his cool, even if he feels differently about the crowd.
That said, even if i do think the crowd hasn't crossed the line, even if they are on him, if a finger-like incident takes place, should i approach the AD/crowd control/coaches and give a warning that we'll assess a bench/crowd technical if they continue on, even if i don't think they've been unreasonable? If i don't, isn't that the same as not being on notice to make sure that the kid who pushed first (in your example) doesn't do it again to try and bait another foul from a kid pushing back? because even i don't think the crowd is pushing, they clearly are because they've incited a reaction. is on me to control this or do i assess the finger waver as having an unreasonable response and do nothing about the crowd?