The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Last night I set a pick & call a "T" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51298-last-night-i-set-pick-call-t.html)

Terrapins Fan Fri Jan 30, 2009 09:56am

Last night I set a pick & call a "T"

I have been having a great season to date. This is my 9th year and I feel like I am on top of my game.

Tonight I have a boys JV game. ( I have done about 30 varsity games and 4 JV games ) 2 man mechanics are different from 3 man and I mess those up on time outs and between quarters, but over all, had a good night.

In the 3rd quarter I had to "T" up a player. I am lead and he is above the Free Throw line facing away from me. I am watching low post play and I hear him yell " Get the "F Bomb" off of me!" BANG "T" This is my 2nd "T" of the year. Last year I was at about 15 by this time in the season.

Earlier the same player gave the crowd the finger ( both officials missed it but the crowd told us about it )

Later in the 3rd quarter, I am working the trail position while they are working the weave and I was near mid court when the ball was stolen and the defensive player ran into me and it was a perfect pick for the steal.

Not much I could do, I needed to move with them working the weave side to side.

2/3's done, 30 days left. the seasons are just too short.

JugglingReferee Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:21am

Good call on the T. Too bad you missed the crowd salute; the players then would have been sittin' after the T that you did call.

deecee Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:56am

On the 1 finger salute to the fans, especially at this level, would anyone eject the player?

Adam Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 573956)
On the 1 finger salute to the fans, especially at this level, would anyone eject the player?

I've only had it once, and it was a player who'd already been DQ'd for fighting.

Man In Blue Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:10pm

Depends if I thought the coach would handel it so I didn't have to.

I know most of the coaches and their styles. Most would only allow the wave 1 time.

Before you jump on me- remember this is a judgment call!

deecee Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man In Blue (Post 573962)

I know most of the coaches and their styles. Most would only allow the wave 1 time.

What's there to jump on -- your bad judgement(if its to not discipline at all -- if its for flagrant or not then I agree with you)? A player flipping the bird to the stands, at the least, deserves a technical whether or not the coach IS going to handle anything.

If a coach is going to discipline his players has no bearing on the job you have to do. And any coach worth his weight in Ford or GM stock will not give you any grief over this T.

I personally wouldnt kick a player out, and it happend in a GV game of mine last year, I t'd her up and told the coach. He promptly sat her the rest of the game. But I was completly shocked that it happened, and literally 2 feet away from me and during live ball action. It took me about 3 seconds just to register it because it was so close.

Rich Fri Jan 30, 2009 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 573977)
What's there to jump on -- your bad judgement? A player flipping the bird to the stands, at the least, deserves a technical whether or not the coach IS going to handle anything.

Sounded to me that the question was flagrant or non-flagrant. Doubtful I'd call this flagrant, but I'd have to see it before deciding.

deecee Fri Jan 30, 2009 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 573983)
Sounded to me that the question was flagrant or non-flagrant. Doubtful I'd call this flagrant, but I'd have to see it before deciding.

Here, so now you know what we are talking about.:D:p:D

http://gevil.org/wp-content/uploads/...pping-bird.jpg

IREFU2 Fri Jan 30, 2009 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man In Blue (Post 573962)

This is a poor case of Sportmanship........

Adam Fri Jan 30, 2009 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2 (Post 574075)
This is a poor case of Sportmanship........

Right, but the judgment is whether it's flagrant or not, IMO.

Chess Ref Fri Jan 30, 2009 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 574076)
Right, but the judgment is whether it's flagrant or not, IMO.

Considering most of us seem to not have seen this could it not fall into the area of extreme. Also it does seem vulgar.

I realize it's a HTBT but HS gym on a friday night, kid drops a bird that the whole gym sees....I'm thinking flagrant....unless I can be convinced otherwise. :cool:

OHBBREF Mon Feb 02, 2009 09:20am

look at it this way

if the player fliped you the single finger salute - would you consider that Flagrant? I would!

Then why is there a big question about flipping off the crowd?

deecee Mon Feb 02, 2009 02:00pm

if a player shoves an opponent during a dead ball, or he shoves you the official?

2 different outcomes. If there was no escalation after the shove of the player, just an unsporting T. For shoving me the good ol heave ho.

same action different consequence.

cdoug Mon Feb 02, 2009 02:13pm

Speaking of Ts...I had a situation the other night that made me think.

I was across the court and wasn't sure if it came from fans behind V bench or a player (on the bench) so I felt that I couldn't do anything about it. Someone said the F-word in relation to a no call in my P's primary. If I hear it and know it's from the bench but don't know who said it can I just call a "generic" bench T? (No books with me at work.) If not, how do you handle that situation? :confused:

doubleringer Mon Feb 02, 2009 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdoug (Post 574941)
Speaking of Ts...I had a situation the other night that made me think.

I was across the court and wasn't sure if it came from fans behind V bench or a player (on the bench) so I felt that I couldn't do anything about it. Someone said the F-word in relation to a no call in my P's primary. If I hear it and know it's from the bench but don't know who said it can I just call a "generic" bench T? (No books with me at work.) If not, how do you handle that situation? :confused:

You absolutely could, but I would ask how loud it was? If you were the only one that heard it, maybe go to the coach and say, "I heard F*&k from your bench. I'm not sure which player it was, but could you please address this so I don't have to?" Since you don't have definite knowledge of what player said it, this may be a better route to take.