The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 03:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Two "you make the call" situations for newbies

Both of these came up last weekend while I was working with newbies in rec games. If you're a newbie, see if you know the correct answers. NF rules.

Situation 1) Team B has just scored. A1 is inbounding but B1 receives a delay warning for reaching across the boundary while A1 is still holding the ball. It is team B's first warning of the game. Does team A still get to run the baseline on the inbound or is it now a spot throw in?

Situation 2) During play, A1 is injured. Coach A is beckoned and A1 leaves the floor and his substitute checks in at the scorer's table. Before play begins, team B requests and is granted a timeout. Can A1 return to the game at the end of the timeout the same as if the timeout had been granted to team A?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Both of these came up last weekend while I was working with newbies in rec games. If you're a newbie, see if you know the correct answers. NF rules.

Situation 1) Team B has just scored. A1 is inbounding but B1 receives a delay warning for reaching across the boundary while A1 is still holding the ball. It is team B's first warning of the game. Does team A still get to run the baseline on the inbound or is it now a spot throw in?

Situation 2) During play, A1 is injured. Coach A is beckoned and A1 leaves the floor and his substitute checks in at the scorer's table. Before play begins, team B requests and is granted a timeout. Can A1 return to the game at the end of the timeout the same as if the timeout had been granted to team A?
I'll give it a try here.

Situation 1: I would say A does still have the right to run the baseline. The warning for the other team shouldn't take that right away.

Situation 2: A1 can't come back unless Coach A wants to use a time out.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Talking At the risk of embarrassment...

At the risk of embarrassment in my first post, I'll give it whirl...

Quote:
The delay warning has no impact on Team A's baseline privileges.

Quote:
A1 can NOT return unless Team A called a time out.

I didn't cheat to see what the answers were in case they're already here. And if I'm wrong, well... that kinda proves it.

Grog
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Relook at the 2nd play. I hope both of you looked into the rule bokk to see if you were correct or incorrect on the plays.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Relook at the 2nd play. I hope both of you looked into the rule bokk to see if you were correct or incorrect on the plays.
First of all, Mark, nice job dropping these in there every now and then. Yes, good for newbies, but I'll bet all 140-plus who have viewed this (just as of this writing) aren't just new guys -- so this stuff has "reach," for sure. Good stuff for most of us!

I believe what Zoochy is hinting at is that little note about someone who's taken out cannot return to play until the next opportunity AFTER the clock has been properly started. (3-3-4).

Not too full of myself to admit, though, my first inclination was to agree with the two guys above who said a TO could have bought re-entry.

Please correct my interpretation as needed, but what we were thinking of must be 3-3-6, which says the injured player can remain in the game if his team calls a TO and the injury problem is corrected by the end of it. The fly in the ointment here was his replacement actually came in for him, making 3-3-6 no longer applicable, right?

Remember reading about both but it doesn't matter if you can't produce at show time. At least the next time the curtain rises, we'll get it right. (presuming I'm right above ....)
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post

The fly in the ointment here was his replacement actually came in for him, making 3-3-6 no longer applicable, right?
Mark said he checked in at the table. He didn't say anything about him actually being beckoned in or hitting the floor.

Does this matter?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
Mark said he checked in at the table. He didn't say anything about him actually being beckoned in or hitting the floor.

Does this matter?
Before Team B's timeout can be granted, the injured player must either be subbed for, or Team A must use a Timeout. B cannot be granted a timeout until one of these two things happens.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Before Team B's timeout can be granted, the injured player must either be subbed for, or Team A must use a Timeout. B cannot be granted a timeout until one of these two things happens.
So if there was any question about whether the sub for the injured person became a player, and therefore the injured player became bench personnel, the granting of the Team B timeout request implies that the substitution had been completed. So the injured player is staying out until the clock runs.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 07:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sit A Tick ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Someone who's taken out cannot return to play until the next opportunity AFTER the clock has been properly started. (3-3-4).
Also known as the, "You have to sit a tick, but you don't have to play a tick" rule, which has a least one exception, when a team is down to only five players, the five players rule (3-1-1) "trumps" the sit a tick rule. Don't ask me for a citation, but I'm 100% sure that this is one exception.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)