The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 10:00am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
This process was written about (briefly) in Season on the Brink, the John Feinstein book that spent a season with Indiana and Bob Knight.
And how old is that book? A lot has changed since then. Back when that book was written, a certain NAIA conference that I have knowledge of wouldn't dare go near the subject of scheduling officials for their member schools. All within the four years I was in school, we went from that to having a coordinator of officials who assigned all games for basketball and volleyball and was moving towards doing so for football, and a couple years after I graduated, it went towards soccer, baseball, and softball. Which is why the SWAC's stance in this article puzzles me a bit, but some of the rationales offered on the board makes some sense.