The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Just Another Day at the Office. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51294-just-another-day-office.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:39pm

Just Another Day at the Office.

There is going to be a lot of finger pointing:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28921192/

MTD, Sr.

JRutledge Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:43pm

I wonder how this happened?

Peace

JugglingReferee Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Article
...assistant commissioner for the SWAC, said that lining up officials is the home team's responsibility, not the league's...

Ooops.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 573827)
Ooops.

Since when is the home school responsible for hiring the officials at the Div. I level. I do not know of any Div. III or NAIA school in Ohio that hires their own officials.

MTD, Sr.

JugglingReferee Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 573834)
Since when is the home school responsible for hiring the officials at the Div. I level. I do not know of any Div. III or NAIA school in Ohio that hires their own officials.

MTD, Sr.

Like I'm the guy who knows?!?! :p :D

I agree though; what seems logical to me is that the conference schedules officials.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 573836)
Like I'm the guy who knows?!?! :p :D

I agree though; what seems logical to me is that the conference schedules officials.

Jugs:

You are getting awful cheeky for someone who lives near Dog River, sorta, :D.

MTD, Sr.

JugglingReferee Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 573838)
Jugs:

You are getting awful cheeky for someone who lives near Dog River, sorta, :D.

MTD, Sr.

Have you seen Corner Gas, Mark? I can't believe they are "going out on top" after only 6 seasons. They've got more good seasons left in them. Oh well. people smarter than I make those decisions.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 573841)
Have you seen Corner Gas, Mark? I can't believe they are "going out on top" after only 6 seasons. They've got more good seasons left in them. Oh well. people smarter than I make those decisions.

Jugs:

I watch Corner Gas, on WGN (our cable company carries WGN). I like it.

MTD, Sr.

ODJ Fri Jan 30, 2009 01:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 573845)
Jugs:

I watch Corner Gas, on WGN (our cable company carries WGN). I like it.

MTD, Sr.

That show has been around for SIX seasons?? :eek:
Is that three episodes per season? I keep seeing the same one.

grunewar Fri Jan 30, 2009 05:57am

Opportunity Lost?

If only a couple of us had been present.......with our bags in our vehicles! :D

JugglingReferee Fri Jan 30, 2009 06:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODJ (Post 573850)
That show has been around for SIX seasons?? :eek:
Is that three episodes per season? I keep seeing the same one.

Switch the TV input from "PVR" to "cable".

Forksref Fri Jan 30, 2009 07:51am

I switched from PBR many years ago. ;)

BTW, when I was coaching D-II some of the smaller schools (NAIA) would hire their own local officials...and it wasn't pretty!

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Jan 30, 2009 08:19am

Maybe in the SWAC, the home school is responsible for hiring officials if it's a non-conference game?

biz Fri Jan 30, 2009 08:41am

It was my understanding that at the DI level...especially the major programs...that a non-conference contract to play a game or a series of games specifies a lot of things. One thing is guaranteed money (which is mentioned in the article) and usually there is a deal on splitting the gate, and one of the things that the coaches try to write in is officials. Sometimes they just agree on something as simple as a crew assigned by the visiting team's conference, but other times they have a specific list of officials that are acceptable to both teams and the home team is responsible for securing them (usually through the host school's conference assignor)

This process was written about (briefly) in Season on the Brink, the John Feinstein book that spent a season with Indiana and Bob Knight.

Raymond Fri Jan 30, 2009 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 573834)

MTD, Sr.

I'm thinking the SWAC's position is that since it was a non-conference game that GSU was responsible for notifying the SWAC Supervisor of Officials to schedule officials for the game or GSU could have secured officials on its own.