The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

How would you handle this? Last night I worked a boys JV and boys varsity game. In between was the girls varsity game. The official's dressing room also happens to be the varsity boys coach's classroom/office. Right before the half of the girls game I went and got some water for the crew and then headed to the dressing room (during the girls game I sat in a corner of the stands). Anyway, the boys coach and his point guard are sitting in there. He starts asking me about how we interpret traveling and some other calls. He also asks about a call in a game he had a couple of weeks before where an official called a foul against his point guard on an airborne shooter shooting a three point shot. As he described it I realized he was talking about a call I made since I also worked that game. He said that after watching it over and over on video he was sure "the official" got it wrong. I explained that in the game we do not have the luxury of video tape so we make judgement calls based on what we see and that "that official" probably saw the shooter still airborne. Anyway, our conversation was civil but I thought a little out of place for pre-game. In the varsity game I had to whack him for coming on to the floor out of the box and arguing. I am thinking of calling our association president and asking him that for next season (last night was our last game at this school this year) we request that the coach not be allowed in the same room we use. Unfortunately at this gym there is no other place for the officials to change other than the coach's class/office. Do you think I am justified in making this suggestion or is this just a byproduct of small town high school basketball that we need to accept?
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

You guys were alone in the lockeroom/office?

Officials should always have privacy, I know for a fact that its part of our contract and I've never had issues. One time we were in the track coaches office, he came in and showered but I had absolutely zero issues with that. As long as I'm not sharing with a basketball coach I'm a happy camper. You should have no contact before the game starts.

I would mention it to your assignor.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

I've had situations where, its a girls game, the away team is in the boys locker room and then they put the officials in the boys coaching office and we had to walk through the locker room where the away girls were.
Had to be very careful.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 04:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao View Post
I am thinking of calling our association president and asking him that for next season (last night was our last game at this school this year) we request that the coach not be allowed in the same room we use. Unfortunately at this gym there is no other place for the officials to change other than the coach's class/office.
Make sure you ask for an exception if you can get to change clothes in the girl's coaches office if it's a female coach and she promises to help you change.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

We have a school in our association that has a dressing room set up the same way that you speak of. We had a few run ins with coaches before and after games and our assignor asked the AD to make sure the coaches stayed out until we left. No problems since.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

I've been to a few places where we got dressed in the coaches office, but never had any problems yet.