The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
Hard to understand why the Fed wouldn't amend the rule to state that in the case of failing to award a merited free throw, if team A scores on the ensuing possession, the error can no longer be corrected.

Perhaps it's never been presented to them? Perhaps the coaches like it the way it is.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
CMHCoach:

I got into a really good debate with BBR and Woody a year or two ago on the Federation message board over this very issue. Wish I still had the link to that thread at hand. The case I posed was the same as yours, except that I had Team A hitting a 3 before the error was discovered. My argument was that, in fairness, we should try to come up with a way to rule that it is too late to remedy the error of failing to award the merited free throws. I said I would rule that after the 3 was made, the ball was available to team B for the throw-in and was thus alive, making it too late to correct the error. The veterans pounced on me, and in retrospect, I think rightly so.

Hard to understand why the Fed wouldn't amend the rule to state that in the case of failing to award a merited free throw, if team A scores on the ensuing possession, the error can no longer be corrected.

In the play you posted, the officials were right to correct the error, but wrong to allow play to resume from the missed free throw. Should have gone to Team B for an endline throw. Since A scores off the missed FT, if coach B asks us what is up with that, can we cancel that goal? Seems to me argument can be made that we have set aside a rule and thus erroneously failed to cancel a goal. Thoughts, everyone?
jearef,
I actually fabricated the part about the handling of free throws. My entire point was to get to the second part -- the correction is unfairly burdensome on the offending team.

I am going to take Bob Jenkins advice and submit a proposal to change the implementation, in this case.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The rule is the same in NCAA, so it's not just FED.

That said, rules change requests are due to NCAA on 2/1 (I think). I don't know the date they are neeeded to FED, but you can submit one. Based on the recent rules interps (more of a "go back and do it over" result), some in FED agree with you, so it might have a chance of passing.
Bob,
Do you know the process, here? How would I go about submitting a request?
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Bob,
Do you know the process, here? How would I go about submitting a request?

There might be something on the NFHS web-site about how to do this.

Or, contact them or your state association.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There might be something on the NFHS web-site about how to do this.

Or, contact them or your state association.
I took your advice and contacted the OHSAA.