The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

Situation.

B is in the bonus, (a)1-1 or(b)2 shots. A1 is called for a reach in foul on B1. The table fails to notify the officials. The officials award the ball out of bounds to team B for a throw in. Play continues for several minutes with points being scored by both teams. With 1 second left in the game, with the game tied, B1 fouls A1 on a shooting foul. The error is then noticed and reported by the table in not awarding B1 his bonus free throws. Correctable? And what is the procedure following the error?

I would think it is a correctable error. The free throws are merited by B1 because the error was discovered before the ball became live following the first dead ball.

B1 would shoot his/her 1-1 or 2 shots with the lane cleared.

Then play would resume at the point of interruption with A1 shooting 2 free throws.

[Edited by thumpferee on Feb 9th, 2004 at 04:34 AM]
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

The ball is dead after a made basket. You said teams exchanging baskets. Unfortunately, not correctable. After the rerror is made and the ball becomes live, you have until the end of the next dead ball to fix it, then it is not correctable.

This is one of my issues with how this rule works, because all dead balls except made baskets involve play stopping, which is when things like this get noticed and communicated. I think that dead balls as a result of made baskets should not be included in this rule (just my opinion).
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

No longer correctable

While the failure to award the merited free-throws to B1 is a correctable error according to 2-10-1a, the time frame allowing for correction has passed in your senario. I know this because you stated, "Play continues for several minutes with points being scored by both teams." Since the ball becomes dead after a goal is scored, you have had at least two dead balls (after a basket by each team) after the clock properly started following the error. You must catch the error by the first dead ball after the clock starts following the error in order to correct it.

Look at 2.10.1 sit B, it details this exact error as no longer correctable for this specific reason quite clearly.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Argggggggggh!!! Hawks Coach, you beat me to it. I did quote the rules though!
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Its too d*** early for me to quote rules - I need my coffee first. Can't coach without it.

BTW - are you in Nevada and reading this stuff at this (early or late) hour?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Yes. I have Sunday and Monday off, and since I have been away from the computer for a while I am catching up on all my email, basketball posts, etc.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Out of curiousity, why is it then in 2.10.1.b the free throws are cancelled when the ball was dead, became live during free throw, and dead again after the second free throw. Is it due to the clock not starting?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach

This is one of my issues with how this rule works, because all dead balls except made baskets involve play stopping, which is when things like this get noticed and communicated. I think that dead balls as a result of made baskets should not be included in this rule (just my opinion).
I agree!
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Out of curiousity, why is it then in 2.10.1.b the free throws are cancelled when the ball was dead, became live during free throw, and dead again after the second free throw. Is it due to the clock not starting?
Exactly correct. I included the clock requirement in my original response to your post, but Hawks Coach, in his hurried effort to beat me, did not!

This means that you know for sure that you can correct anything that is correctable if the clock hasn't run.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Excellent catch. The correctable error rule is, like many other rules, simple on face value but requires a little bit of subtle thinking to get right.