The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Fouled after landing

An earlier thread got me thinking about a very plausible scenario, but one that I don’t recall seeing or at least being called in my short carrier.

Scenario:
Three point attempt: A1 goes up, releases shot and lands. B1 then spins to box him out but is too aggressive and clearly fouls A1. The ball then goes in and the ref calls the foul and scores the bucket. However, at the time of the foul the shooter was back on the ground after the shot, so it’s not a shooting foul. Also, team A is in bonus, so he gets a one-and-one or two shots. We would have what would appear like a 5 point play. I believe this is all correct but would seem odd. I’m sure some coaches and many fans would perceive this as A1 getting two shots after getting fouled on a made 3 pointer.

Is this all correct? Comments?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

yes, it's correct. Tell the coach it was after the shot.

If the coach doesn't get it, you may also have to explain that a rebounder doesn't get to knock a player down just because he has position.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:43am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
An earlier thread got me thinking about a very plausible scenario, but one that I don’t recall seeing or at least being called in my short carrier.

Scenario:
Three point attempt: A1 goes up, releases shot and lands. B1 then spins to box him out but is too aggressive and clearly fouls A1. The ball then goes in and the ref calls the foul and scores the bucket. However, at the time of the foul the shooter was back on the ground after the shot, so it’s not a shooting foul. Also, team A is in bonus, so he gets a one-and-one or two shots. We would have what would appear like a 5 point play. I believe this is all correct but would seem odd. I’m sure some coaches and many fans would perceive this as A1 getting two shots after getting fouled on a made 3 pointer.

You're correct that this is not a shooting foul and if applicable, A1 shoots the bonus - even if it does seem odd.

If you voice clearly while reporting the foul, the coaches should be understanding what the call is (though they may not agree), since they'll likely be listening to you report.

I've had this foul before and through experience, we can tell when a coach isn't clear on a certain rule. By choosing your words carefully (in the style of Ed Hochuli), you can diffuse some comments or questions that a coach may have.

As for the fans, meh. If they get it, then fine. If they don't, it gives them soemthing to talk about on the drive home.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

You answered your own questions....

FORMER air-borne shooter (now player A1, just like A2-A5) is fouled. Bonus in effect. FT awarded accordingly.

Who cares what the fans think!

If you feel you need to inform the coach, keep it brief.

"B1 pushed A1 AFTER he returned to the floor. Common foul, bonus is in effect, A1 is shooting 1-and-1 (or 2)"
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Good answer. I sometimes report the foul: "During the rebound..."

I was going to ask whether the OP had ever seen it called in his long carrier, but decided against it.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Talking I too wondered....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Good answer. I sometimes report the foul: "During the rebound..."

I was going to ask whether the OP had ever seen it called in his long carrier, but decided against it.
Do they play basketball in 53' semi-trailers? Or is OP in the Navy and at sea?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. Looks like clarity in reporting is the key here.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williebfree View Post

Stinkin' spell check.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 12:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by williebfree View Post
The vessel was travelling east. The release of the 3-pointer came from today, but the foul came after the ship crossed the IDL, and happened yesterday. Since yesterday, A was not in the bonus, no shots were awarded.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
An earlier thread got me thinking about a very plausible scenario, but one that I don’t recall seeing or at least being called in my short career.

Scenario:

The other way to look at this scenario is the case in which the shot does NOT go in. If you feel it odd that the player would get more than one shot in your initial scenario, it would follow that it would make sense that you would award a rebounder (since the shooter has already landed) three FTs.

This scenario is even more odd. Hence, the rules being as they are.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Where you may see confusion is when A1 attempts a 3-pt shot as B1 is rushing toward her for the block. B1 jumps, misses the ball and comes down, making contact with A1 as she returns to the floor as well. Though A1 has returned to the floor, and then contact occurs, I often see this called as a foul in the act of shooting.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 02:31pm
Administrator

Quote:

If the coach doesn't get it, you may also have to explain that a rebounder doesn't get to knock a player down just because he has position.

Snaqs:

He should also be prepared to hear the HC tell how that was good boxing out technique, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 02:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Snaqs:

He should also be prepared to hear the HC tell how that was good boxing out technique, .

MTD, Sr.
I see you've had that coach, too.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I see you've had that coach, too.
That's like one I had last weekend. Super-fast guard during a FTA zips to the front of the rim before anyone else, yet clearly too early. Tweet -- violation, let's reshoot.

Coach from the near bench: He's just faster than anyone else!

Me: Good. Then he can wait until he's supposed to and STILL get there before everybody else.

Coach: You must reading too much of those guys posting all the time at officiating.com!