The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

traveling or held ball

Under held ball. 4.25.2 sit c A1 jumps to try for goal or to pass the ball. B1 leaps or reaches and is able to put his\her hand on the ball and keep A1 from releasing it. A1a)return to the floor with the ball; or(b)is unable to control the ball and it drops to the floor. Rulling: A held ball results immediatly in A and B when airborn A1 is prevented from releasing the ball to pass or try. Then under traveling. 4.44.3 sit.A: A1 jumps to tryfor goal. B1 also jumps and: A and b don't apply to my question. (c)touches the ball and A1 returns to the floor holding the ball; or (d) touches the ball and A1 drops it to the floor and is the first one to touch it after it bounces.Rulling (c)a traveling violation; (d) a violation for starting a dribble with your pivot foot off the floor. Since the touch did not prevent the pass or try i b,c, and d the ball remains live and subsequent action is covered by rule which apply to the sit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two rule and thier similarities and different rullings. Is there that big of a difference between a touch and hold is sit4.25.2 option a and b. and 4.44.3 option c and d. I hope you see where i'm comming from
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
Under held ball. 4.25.2 sit c A1 jumps to try for goal or to pass the ball. B1 leaps or reaches and is able to put his\her hand on the ball and keep A1 from releasing it. A1a)return to the floor with the ball; or(b)is unable to control the ball and it drops to the floor. Rulling: A held ball results immediatly in A and B when airborn A1 is prevented from releasing the ball to pass or try.

Then under traveling. 4.44.3 sit.A: A1 jumps to tryfor goal. B1 also jumps and: A and b don't apply to my question. (c)touches the ball and A1 returns to the floor holding the ball; or (d) touches the ball and A1 drops it to the floor and is the first one to touch it after it bounces.Rulling (c)a traveling violation; (d) a violation for starting a dribble with your pivot foot off the floor. Since the touch did not prevent the pass or try i b,c, and d the ball remains live and subsequent action is covered by rule which apply to the sit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two rule and thier similarities and different rullings. Is there that big of a difference between a touch and hold is sit4.25.2 option a and b. and 4.44.3 option c and d. I hope you see where i'm comming from
There is a big difference. And I do not see where you are coming from, because preventing someone shooting and only touching the ball and not preventing someone to shoot would be two different situations if you ask me. You are getting caught up in the language and not understanding what is actually being said.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

How about where it is dropped. Is there a big difference there. One if you drop it, that's a held ball. The other one if you drop it, that's a illegal dribble.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:42pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
Under held ball. 4.25.2 sit c A1 jumps to try for goal or to pass the ball. B1 leaps or reaches and is able to put his\her hand on the ball and keep A1 from releasing it. A1a)return to the floor with the ball; or(b)is unable to control the ball and it drops to the floor. Rulling: A held ball results immediatly in A and B when airborn A1 is prevented from releasing the ball to pass or try. Then under traveling. 4.44.3 sit.A: A1 jumps to tryfor goal. B1 also jumps and: A and b don't apply to my question. (c)touches the ball and A1 returns to the floor holding the ball; or (d) touches the ball and A1 drops it to the floor and is the first one to touch it after it bounces.Rulling (c)a traveling violation; (d) a violation for starting a dribble with your pivot foot off the floor. Since the touch did not prevent the pass or try i b,c, and d the ball remains live and subsequent action is covered by rule which apply to the sit.

The difference is B preventing the release or not. If B did prevent the release, held ball. If not, a violation on A.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 07:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Judgment.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Judgment.
Agreed. And, 98% of the time, I'm going to judge that B did prevent the release and have a held ball. The "travelling" cases that AKOFL cited represent the other 2% of the time.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

The play I've seen a few times this season: A1 goes up for a shot, B1 hits the ball on the way up, A1 then releases the ball. The sequence is quite distinct.

I think A1 is trying to get a shooting foul called on this. Weird play.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

The Question was for a friend. I told him I thought the difference was a touch compared to contact that was much longer. Just wanted some back up from a credible source. (I know that's pushing it) I'm going to call the held ball more than anything. My partner just couldn't see the traveling call when the defender touched the ball.