The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Held Ball/Traveling?

I am thinking I kicked this...

Men's Rec championship game. A1 drives into the lane appearantly to attempt a shot. soon after he leaves the floor he sees B1 and decides not to shoot but looks to pass. while still in the air the ball is tapped by B1, although not enough to effect A1's ability to release the ball and A1 has player control the entire time, A1 then returns to the floor with the ball. I called traveling, should this have been a held ball?

Thanks!
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 11:08am
#thereferee99

Does this help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiRef View Post

Men's Rec championship game. A1 drives into the lane appearantly to attempt a shot. soon after he leaves the floor he sees B1 and decides not to shoot but looks to pass. while still in the air the ball is tapped by B1, although not enough to effect A1's ability to release the ball and A1 has player control the entire time, A1 then returns to the floor with the ball. I called traveling, should this have been a held ball?

Thanks!
4.25.2 Held Ball

An opponent places hes/her hand(s) on the ball and prevents an airborne player from thorwing the ball or releasing it on a try.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

I'm thinking you were right about the travel. Don't have my rule book with me, but I think it says something to the effect of the defender getting a hand on the ball which prevents the player with control from releasing it. Don't think pass/shoot matters, nor length of time the defender has his/her hand on the ball...just that it was long enough to prevent release of the ball. If, like you said, in this case the hand on the ball wasn't enough to prevent the player from releasing (in your opinion), then it should be a travel.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

If the player returns to the floor after opponent contacted the ball, you have to choose:

1. if the contact prevented the player from shooting and passing, held ball
2. if the contact did not prevent the player from shooting or passing, travel

From your description, it sounds like (2), which would make your call correct.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 07:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter releases the ball, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor, whether, or not, the defensive player touches the ball in the block attempt.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 08:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter releases the ball, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor, whether, or not, the defensive player touches the ball in the block attempt.

If the defender does touch the ball, it is sometimes a fine line to draw whether the drop was on purpose or not. Also, it is not uncommon to see a travel called when the defender's touch actually knocks the ball loose, but the shooter catches it on the way down.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Travel.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Travel.
Because.....????
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiRef View Post

Thanks!
I'd say travel because of the bolded part.