The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-Game Game Management Tip

Happened a couple years ago but funny.......

I'm R running the pre game meeting for GV game. I had been in many pre games where the R emphasises the teams not talking to each other by asking each captain if they had anything to say to the other captain, then repeat for the other team and state that these were to be the last words between the teams. So I thought I'd give it a try.............

Me: "Alright ladies, welcome to our game tonight. Who's speaking for white...OK number 4. Who's speaking for black.....OK number 2. Black team, do you have anything to say to the white team?"

Black 2: "Good Luck."

Me: "White team, do you have anything to say to the black team?"

White 4: Pointing finger at black team "Yea, we fiddin' to WIIIIIIN!"

I don't ask that question in pre-game anymore.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 05:24am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I was the R on a kid's football game 2 seasons ago. It was an extravaganza, meaning that this one town had home game after home game - their team in each division. And part of the weekend is to have a BBQ set up, announcing player's names, etc...

These guys were 9 and under. Like basketball, I keep it short, but at the end I did ask if anyone had any questions. One kid put his arm up (good parenting, btw), and asked, "Can I get a hotdog?"

He also happened to be an obvious offensive linesman.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I think that I read in this forum a story related by a poster whose college partner conducted a captains meeting by saying "OK guys, no bullsh** tonight.." and that was it. Great stuff.

I've incorporated a toned-down version of it when I am the R- I go through the usual- good sportsmanship, tuck in the shirts, black line all around, wait for subs, play the whistle... "and guys, my partner and I will talk to you and explain some rules briefly if you ask, and it's all in the delivery OK- "Ref you suck" doesn't cut it, understand?"

That's generally used for the JV, but occasionally used for freshman as a tension breaker, which has worked pretty well so far. Never for kids any younger.

Z
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:25am
Suppref

Talking Point to your partner and say...

"His left eye is made of glass so he can see anything on that side and my right leg is fake so I may trail a few plays any questions." Once they blink from the deer in the headlights stare, I laugh and say, " We're going to have fun, so I hope you will too!"
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suppref View Post
"His left eye is made of glass so he can see anything on that side and my right leg is fake so I may trail a few plays any questions." Once they blink from the deer in the headlights stare, I laugh and say, " We're going to have fun, so I hope you will too!"
There's actually a guy in my area with only 1 working eye - the other I'm not sure what it is!
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:54am
Suppref

Too funny...

In my area too, of course when I work with him, I don't use the same pregame!
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:57am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
My partner the other night wrapped our Captain's pregame up with, "Remember gentlemen, first team to 100 wins." All the players smiled - amazingly, I guess they were all paying attention. I liked it!
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

"gentlemen, if you run into the cheerleaders, keep your hands down.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 11:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
I think that I read in this forum a story related by a poster whose college partner conducted a captains meeting by saying "OK guys, no bullsh** tonight.." and that was it. Great stuff.

I've incorporated a toned-down version of it when I am the R- I go through the usual- good sportsmanship, tuck in the shirts, black line all around, wait for subs, play the whistle... "and guys, my partner and I will talk to you and explain some rules briefly if you ask, and it's all in the delivery OK- "Ref you suck" doesn't cut it, understand?"

That's generally used for the JV, but occasionally used for freshman as a tension breaker, which has worked pretty well so far. Never for kids any younger.

Z
You do all that? I've had partners do the "black line all around" here, but I quit doing that years ago. The less you say, the more likely they are to hear what you tell them. In hgh school, kids know what a court looks like and can find the OOB line pretty quickly.

They also know to wait for subs and "play the whistle."

1. Sportsmanship is important, so take care of your teammates if you start to see them lose their head.
2. Make sure no one has jewelry.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 02:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You do all that? I've had partners do the "black line all around" here, but I quit doing that years ago. The less you say, the more likely they are to hear what you tell them. In hgh school, kids know what a court looks like and can find the OOB line pretty quickly.

They also know to wait for subs and "play the whistle."

1. Sportsmanship is important, so take care of your teammates if you start to see them lose their head.
2. Make sure no one has jewelry.
The only time I mention court marking is if there is something that is reasonably an obvious chance at confusion.

There is a gym in my city that has a white line, fairly thick, that is right up against the out of bounds lines. The OB line is dark, and the white line is much moer visible at quick glance. I usually mention it for visiting teams because the first year using this new gym, there were a few problems.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 02:22pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I was the R on a kid's football game 2 seasons ago. It was an extravaganza, meaning that this one town had home game after home game - their team in each division. And part of the weekend is to have a BBQ set up, announcing player's names, etc...

These guys were 9 and under. Like basketball, I keep it short, but at the end I did ask if anyone had any questions. One kid put his arm up (good parenting, btw), and asked, "Can I get a hotdog?"

He also happened to be an obvious offensive linesman.
Well? Did you let him get one?
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 02:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Well? Did you let him get one?
My standard response is, "You don't have to go without, but you can't play while eating the hotdog."