The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

We all know that game management is important to officiating. I'm posting this because I watched two officials do this and want others to learn from it.

Team A had the ball down by one. They had the full length of the court to go with 9.7 seconds left in the game. The two officials (two man crew) meet at the center circle. The referee talked about letting the players decide the game and not to make a cheap call. He then instructs the umpire (his partner) to tell team A (as they break their huddle) to make sure their picks are legal. As team B breaks their huddle, he instructs them to play defense with their feet and not to create a silly reaching foul. Team A inbounds the ball and the game ends with team A scoring the winning basket.

I thought this was a great way to manage the end of a hard fought contest. These two officials did their jobs, and still allowed the players to decide the game. If a moving pick had been called, then team A and their coach would have known that the officials were looking for it. At the same time, if a reach had been called then team B and it's players and coach would have known that the officials were looking for that as well. I think as young officials, we can learn from these veterans and manage these types of situations like they did.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BamaRef
not to create a silly reaching foul...

At the same time, if a reach had been called ...
Bama,
A reach is NOT a foul. A hit, push, hold, etc. is a foul. Please do not use the term reaching foul. To us on the forum who know the rules it is like scratching one's fingers on a chalkboard. We just cringe.

Also, my personal opinion is that the officials should just call the game in the last ten seconds the same way they called the first 31 minutes and 50 seconds. There is no need to instruct the players not to foul. I would not do what these "veteran" officials did. Especially, if they used the word reach!

Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 04:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by BamaRef
not to create a silly reaching foul...

At the same time, if a reach had been called ...
Bama,
A reach is NOT a foul. A hit, push, hold, etc. is a foul. Please do not use the term reaching foul. To us on the forum who know the rules it is like scratching one's fingers on a chalkboard. We just cringe.

Also, my personal opinion is that the officials should just call the game in the last ten seconds the same way they called the first 31 minutes and 50 seconds. There is no need to instruct the players not to foul. I would not do what these "veteran" officials did. Especially, if they used the word reach!

I agree with BamaRef that game management is important, and it's useful to get together the last few seconds and talk about as much as possible. I do agree with Nevada, though, that "reach" isn't a foul, and I'll add also that "moving picks" aren't fouls, either. I also think the coaches should WANT the refs to look for illegal screens and illegal hits and slashes at the ball. That's what we get the big bucks for! And even if these fouls are committed and called, it's still the players that decided the game. The ref just made sure that the players decisions were acknowledged and carried out to their legal ends.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 04:48am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah. We all cringe and grind our teeth every time anybody uses terms like "reaching in" and "over the back." And yes, using the term "moving pick" is still a hanging offense in some states.

It seems to me that the officials in question weren't posting to the board, or trying to impress other officials. They were talking to players. They chose to speak the players' language. Game/player/coach management is mostly about effective communication. Being bi-lingual can help.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Yeah, yeah, yeah. We all cringe and grind our teeth every time anybody uses terms like "reaching in" and "over the back." And yes, using the term "moving pick" is still a hanging offense in some states.

It seems to me that the officials in question weren't posting to the board, or trying to impress other officials. They were talking to players. They chose to speak the players' language. Game/player/coach management is mostly about effective communication. Being bi-lingual can help.
Ray, I agree, but guardedly. If we keep using inexact terms to people who don't know any better, we keep suffering under the misunderstandings that make our lives more difficult. I think that's really a liability.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Just Ref

My two cents, we are not getting paid to coach. Good idea for the crew to huddle up and make sure that you're on the same page, but to coach, remind, or whatever else you want to call it to the teams...no way.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Just Ref

Quote:
Originally posted by NCAAREF
but to coach, remind, or whatever else you want to call it to the teams...no way.
So you never tell the inbounder "SPOT!" or tell the defender not to reach across the OOB plane?
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle

Ray, I agree, but guardedly. If we keep using inexact terms to people who don't know any better, we keep suffering under the misunderstandings that make our lives more difficult. I think that's really a liability.
rainmaker--

I would have to agree with BITS. Most basketball players go their entire careers without learning anything about the rule book or officiating. Ex. Ask an experienced player where an official stands after he throws you the ball for a FT? Most wouldn't have a clue. That's not their concern. Making the shot is all they care about. As an official, it's important to know the rules, implications, jargon, etc. of officiating. When talking to other officials, it certainly is appropriate to use "official's lingo", but when talking to players & coaches, they know what you are talking about when you say "moving pick" or "reach". Can they give you a definition--not a chance. But in order to communicate effectively with coaches/players, you better be able to talk their language.

However, I agree that "coaching" by officials in the last few seconds of a game is something that I would be hesitant to do. I like officials who talk players out of bad situations early in a game, but by the end of the game--just call it like you've been calling it. The players should have it figured out by then.

Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Just Ref

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by NCAAREF
but to coach, remind, or whatever else you want to call it to the teams...no way.
So you never tell the inbounder "SPOT!" or tell the defender not to reach across the OOB plane?
I think you tell them that on every inbound--not just the one with :10 left.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

I generally agree that we should call the last 10 seconds (or whatever) of a close game the same way we called the rest of the game. However, we have all made calls that we wish we could take back and said to ourselves, "That was cheap; I should have let that one go!" As long as we don't let "good" calls go by, I think it is good to give a mental reminder not to make a cheap call at that point.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
I generally agree that we should call the last 10 seconds (or whatever) of a close game the same way we called the rest of the game. However, we have all made calls that we wish we could take back and said to ourselves, "That was cheap; I should have let that one go!" As long as we don't let "good" calls go by, I think it is good to give a mental reminder not to make a cheap call at that point.
Agreed--

Everyone calls one once-in-a-while that they immediately think--"that was a little cheap"--you just don't want to be think that in the last :10. Making a cheap one in the first is a lot different than making a cheap one in the fourth!
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
Cheap or not, if it is a call then call it accordingly, otherwise you have nothing. The degree of "cheapness" may vary among officials even within the same crew. If you see the call, then make it but don't try to prioritize or rank it simply because there are 10 seconds left in the contest.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 05:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

First of all, there's no such thing as a "cheap" call. We get paid the same for every call.

Second, don't "coach" during the game unless you think it's OK for the coaches to referee.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in the camp that says we should ref not coach. I think we should be worrying about making sure that we refs are on the same page, not coaching the kids. A good thing to do in that sitch might also be to remind the timekeeper (part of our crew) to watch for the "chop time" signal before starting the clock.

My experience has been that any time I have worked with a veteran ref who has said things in his pregame like "let the players decide the game" or "I don't make cheap calls," it's been followed by a game that is entirely too physical. I think saying, "let's have a slow whistle and let's not anticipate the calls" is better.

Z
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

No official wants to make a cheap call at the end of a game or at any other part of the game. I would also say that by not making a call at the end of the game (as we have all heard many times "let the players decide the game") giving one team an advantage over the other team. Isn't that why we are there. To make sure both teams play on a level court?