The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Football mechanic in basketball game

Pregame...boys V...my partner said he would like to use a "football mechanic" during our game.

He stated that before we put the ball in play...he would give a close fist, out to his side, to show that he has counted 5 players for each team on the floor.

I was the R...and I told him to go ahead if he wanted...but, that I didn't think "state" evaluators would look to kindly on non-prescribed NFHS mechanics. (Actually the mechanic looks like a delayed signal, for a violation, on a FT)

He stated that officials point in the air to the opposite side table official when the time is running out...and it isn't a prescribed mechanic.

He had a point.

Comments on those two mechanics and any others you can think of?
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 08:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Pregame...boys V...my partner said he would like to use a "football mechanic" during our game.

He stated that before we put the ball in play...he would give a close fist, out to his side, to show that he has counted 5 players for each team on the floor.

I was the R...and I told him to go ahead if he wanted...but, that I didn't think "state" evaluators would look to kindly on non-prescribed NFHS mechanics. (Actually the mechanic looks like a delayed signal, for a violation, on a FT)

He stated that officials point in the air to the opposite side table official when the time is running out...and it isn't a prescribed mechanic.

He had a point.

Comments on those two mechanics and any others you can think of?
I pregame a point.
Before most any resumption of play, I make eye contact and point to my partner to signify that I have ten and that I am ready.
Pointing in the air to note there is one minute left in a quarter is just plain silly to me. However, I may begrudgingly answer my partner after thinking, "Duh ?!!"
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 08:16am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

It's not necessary, but I don't mind a signal before throw-ins. FIBA has a thumbs-up signal which has contributed positively in my FIBA games.

I also do not mind a last-second shot mechanic, or a low clock mechanic. Anywhere near 30s - 1min is typical.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Fri Jan 23, 2009 at 11:10am. Reason: added 'mind'
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 08:20am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
It's not necessary, but I don't mind a signal before throw-ins. FIBA has a thumbs-up signal which has contributed positively in my FIBA games.
I generally use a thumbs-up, as well, in my high school and NCAA games. I didn't realize it was approved for FIBA.

Quote:
I also do not a last-second shot mechanic, or a low clock mechanic. Anywhere near 30s - 1min is typical.
I will sometimes point at the official who has last-shot responsibility, but I never use the finger-in-the-air at 1 minute remaining. Totally unnecessary.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 08:47am
Ref Ump Welsch

Many of the guys I've worked with in this area will do the fist thing to indicate we have 5 and 5 before a throw-in. We like it better than just making eye contact and nodding, or pointing and nodding.

Some guys I've worked with, when there's a minute or just under a minute left, will hold up one finger in the air to indicate such. When it gets down to the potential last second shot, the trail will pat his head to indicate he knows he has it.

Important thing is pregaming what you will use. I know the mechanics are not FED prescribed, but the state associations we work under has never come down on us about it because they would prefer communication rather than chaos.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 09:26am
MABO Member

This is something I pregame as well.

"Make sure you and I have eye contact before placing the ball in play, I will give you a thumbs up if all is well and we are good to go. Otherwise watch for a hand signal to provide information about a game situation."

Even though these are not approved mechanics they help the game flow. Number of shots for free throws, time indicators when in last 2 minutes of game (FIBA), if foul count is getting one sided we will point with two fingers at our eyes then look at clock, and a few others. None of these are for any reason than to help make our partners more aware even though they should already be on top of it.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
Quote:
It has been encouraged by our NFHS assignor and reinforced in clinics that officials use the "Last Shot" signal (one finger up in air) to remind partners that time remaining in period is winding down.

While this mechanic is not included in the Rules Book Basketball Signals chart, it is included in the Basketball Officials Guidebook Crew of Three High School Mechanics 2007-09 (published by NASO, specifically on page 149).

But for some reason, during high school games, I still see some referees tapping their head, which I guess is the NBA mechanic.

Thanks,
Paul
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 11:20am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
This is something I pregame as well.

"Make sure you and I have eye contact before placing the ball in play, I will give you a thumbs up if all is well and we are good to go. Otherwise watch for a hand signal to provide information about a game situation."

Even though these are not approved mechanics they help the game flow. Number of shots for free throws, time indicators when in last 2 minutes of game (FIBA), if foul count is getting one sided we will point with two fingers at our eyes then look at clock, and a few others. None of these are for any reason than to help make our partners more aware even though they should already be on top of it.
I agree about a signal for 2 minutes remaining. In fact, I think it should be done anywhere 2:30 and under. That way, we all know ahead of time of the upcoming timing changes.

In addition, a regular partner and I invented some signals when we officiate games that has special drop-back rules. Once a team leads by 15, then must drop back to half - iow, there are no full court presses. When a team earned a spread of 15+, we would give a "not closely guarded signal" which made us on the same page that no press was permitted. If the losing team then scored to change the lead to the other side of 15+, the signal was pressing two palms together. So basically, anytime that the full-court status changed, we signalled. In the 5 years we've been doing this mechanic in games with these special rules, I do not recall once having a problem.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 01:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

I either point or use a thumbs up to let my partner know that I am ready, which usually means I have counted players or we do not have subs to come in. It is not a "prescribed" mechanic, but there are a lot of things we do that are not prescribed. Now your partner's exact signal might have looked a little goofy on the basketball court, but I do not see why this would be a big deal to anyone other than it looked goofy. Are you saying that we should not give a single to each other just because it is not in a book somewhere?
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 01:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Pointing in the air to note there is one minute left in a quarter is just plain silly to me. However, I may begrudgingly answer my partner after thinking, "Duh ?!!"
We do that too, but that is done to signify we are coming up on a last second shot. And we signify who has it at the time of the signal. In other words, we do not want officials to be surprised they have the shot.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That reminds me of an old-timer we have who keeps track of the possession arrow by using a football down marker on his hand. He does lots of afternoon junior high stuff with unreliable table crews, but he uses it in varsity games too. I'm sure some don't like it, but it doesn't bother me one bit.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 01:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We do that too, but that is done to signify we are coming up on a last second shot. And we signify who has it at the time of the signal. In other words, we do not want officials to be surprised they have the shot.

Peace
Same here...it's expected crew comminucation.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 02:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I always tell my partner that if he (or she) sees me counting with my shoes off, it means there's more than 10 players on the court.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 02:36pm
In Memoriam

So..., isn't it aggravating when you are administering a throw-in and you look to a partner, who's looking at his shoes ?
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 02:45pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
So..., isn't it aggravating when you are administering a throw-in and you look to a partner, who's looking at his shoes ?
Yes!!