The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 06:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Off topic - basketball score in football game

While a lot of people in my state are still buzzing about Oregon beating USC, there was another game here. In Portland, Weber State beat Portland State 73-68! No, it wasn't a basketball game.

Apparently, both teams left their defensive squads on the bus.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

The will set a new record for total points. Boise State and Nevada played a 69-67 4OT game just two weeks ago.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 09:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
While a lot of people in my state are still buzzing about Oregon beating USC, there was another game here. In Portland, Weber State beat Portland State 73-68! No, it wasn't a basketball game.

Apparently, both teams left their defensive squads on the bus.
Since I can't figure out how a team could win a college football game by 5 points in overtime, I have to assume this was all in regulation.

Is the Grinnell College basketball coach now coaching football?
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 11:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Since I can't figure out how a team could win a college football game by 5 points in overtime, I have to assume this was all in regulation.

Is the Grinnell College basketball coach now coaching football?
It was in regulation. And the PSU coach is Jerry Glanville. Yes, that Jerry Glanville.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/recap;...270257&prov=ap

"Portland State, whose offensive coordinator is Run-and-Shoot guru Mouse Davis..."

Of course, the writer didn't get his facts right in the second paragraph as I proved with my above post, unless he was discounting overtime games.

"The previous record for most points by two teams was 136, set in 1968 when North Park beat North Central 104-32 in a Division III game. The Division I record was 133, set in 2004 when San Jose State beat Rice 70-63."
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 07:42am
Ref Ump Welsch

Hey, you think that's bad, you should see some of the scores in 8-man or 6-man football games. I just had a 8-man football game a couple weeks ago, final score was 78-52. Scanning the list of scores in the paper the other day, I saw some scores for 8-man listed as 70-45, etc. There was a 6-man game recently where the final score was like 90-70.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Highly unlikely, but:

A has the first series, scores a TD and, since it's the 3rd OT period, goes for a successful 2 point conversion.

B goes 3-and-out, but the coaches somehow forget that it's OT and send in the FG unit instead of going for it on 4th down.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Highly unlikely, but:

A has the first series, scores a TD and, since it's the 3rd OT period, goes for a successful 2 point conversion.

B goes 3-and-out, but the coaches somehow forget that it's OT and send in the FG unit instead of going for it on 4th down.
Other options (I think):

1) Team A scores a FG while on offense, and then a safety while on defense.

2) Team A scores a TD and extra point. Team B commits a turnover, and during the play Team A recovers tha ball and runs into the end-zone (without the momentum exception) for a safety.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 11:22am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
"Portland State, whose offensive coordinator is Run-and-Shoot guru Mouse Davis..."
Years ago, Mouse Davis was the head coach. Locals called the team the "Fighting Mice". During that time, with Neil Lomax at QB, they beat Delaware State 103-6. After the game, the Portland State baseball coach said in the press, "I wonder if Delaware State has a baseball team?" OUCH!
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 01:30pm
Ref Ump Welsch

And go back further in history, when John Heisman's Georgia Tech Rambling Wrecks killed Cumberland 222-0. It was revenge for Cumberland's baseball team's massacre of Georgia Tech the previous spring, which I believe was a ridiculous score as well.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Other options (I think):

1) Team A scores a FG while on offense, and then a safety while on defense.

2) Team A scores a TD and extra point. Team B commits a turnover, and during the play Team A recovers tha ball and runs into the end-zone (without the momentum exception) for a safety.
I'm not sure what the rules are for an INT during B's series in OT. A small part in the back of my brain says the play should be whistled dead.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 05:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm not sure what the rules are for an INT during B's series in OT. A small part in the back of my brain says the play should be whistled dead.
College and high school are different on this, but I can't remember which is which. One has the play dead on the turnover. The other allows play to continue, so conceivably a team could win in OT by as many as 14 points.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope. The play finishes just the same as any other play. If this is the first team on offense in that OT, then the game is over if the defense scores. If the defensive team has already been on offense and has scored, then their player would be smart to simply fall down or take a knee.

However, if the defense fumbles before the play is over the offense can get the ball back and maybe even score on the play.

What I don't know for sure is what happens if the offensive team gets the ball back, but does NOT score on the play. Is their possession over or do they get to continue? I think that they are allowed to continue the offensive series.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
What I don't know for sure is what happens if the offensive team gets the ball back, but does NOT score on the play. Is their possession over or do they get to continue? I think that they are allowed to continue the offensive series.
Well, in regulation, if A loses possession, B gains possession, then A regains possession during the down, A gets a new series. Not sure about OT.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, in regulation, if A loses possession, B gains possession, then A regains possession during the down, A gets a new series. Not sure about OT.
That is the same for me.