The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 02:22pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Football and Basketball at the same time?

Hi All,

Has any team held both the football and basketball titles at the same time?

Florida currently holds both: football from the 2006-2007 season and basketball from the 2005-2006 season.

Florida's titles are from different school seasons, and the title games were played in different years. I don't think they're a "true" double winner.

Thanks.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 02:23pm
Huck Finn

I don't know, but I think UCONN held the men's and women's basketball titles at the same time.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Hi All,

Has any team held both the football and basketball titles at the same time?
According to what I've heard, no. (But I didn't do any independent research, and I don't know whether the statement applies to all NCAA or D-IA, or only men's basketball ...)
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

The short answer is no.

I heard on the radio two nights ago that Florida is one of only 6 schools ever to win the NCAA championship in both football (AP) and basketball, regardless of year, however.

Others off the top of my head were Michigan, Maryland, Syracuse, and Ohio State. I do not remember the 6th team. Michigan State perhaps?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 02:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

If you look at it, until Florida's title I don't think any of the previous NCAA-M's champions have ever had dominant football programs and vice versa. Probably have to go way back to the pre-Wooden days to find schools that did well in both at the same time. Oklahoma Sooners & Texas Longhorns have probably been the best dual sport schools so far this decade.

Football factories: Ohio St., Nebraska, Penn St, USC, Notre Dame, Florida St, Nebraska, Miami.

Basketball factories: Duke, UNC, Syracuse, UConn, UCLA, Kansas, Arizona, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland

Michigan had a good basketball run in the late 80's, early 90's but it didn't coincide with its football National Championship.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 02:47pm.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Different sports

I do know that Texas held the national title in both baseball and football at the same time last year.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 03:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN
The short answer is no.

I heard on the radio two nights ago that Florida is one of only 6 schools ever to win the NCAA championship in both football (AP) and basketball, regardless of year, however.

Others off the top of my head were Michigan, Maryland, Syracuse, and Ohio State. I do not remember the 6th team. Michigan State perhaps?
I think it's probably Oklahoma, or did they not win in basketball?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 03:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I think it's probably Oklahoma, or did they not win in basketball?
I think they did win one in the 40's. Or the other team could be Stanford.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know exactly how many schools have won both hoops and football at ANY time, but here's at least a partial list that's pretty close. I've included only AP football champs, which started in 1936:

Florida
Michigan
Ohio State
Syracuse
Maryland
Michigan State

Stanford, Arkansas, and UCLA won seemingly legitimate non-AP national championships that were recognized in football at the time (e.g. UPI), and have, of course, won the hoops title outright. There are a few others like Wisconsin that appear to have won what I call "historical" championships in football based either on regressed computer polls or something similar.

If you go back farther than the 30's and recognize other national champs (in football), you have Cal.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

What football championship? I've not heard of a football championship that compares to a basketball or baseball championship, unless you drop to div. 1-AA or lower.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Football champs aren't crowned via the same process, but they are recognized by the NCAA. See the NCAA's site under football.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Football champs aren't crowned via the same process, but they are recognized by the NCAA. See the NCAA's site under football.
Then why aren't they called the NCAA Champions? (Because one does not exist, (yet). )

Poll Champs? AP Champs? BCS Champs? (All ironic in a moronic way). Yes, but you don't play the best teams to get those titles.

(edited to fix a typo)

Last edited by SamIAm; Fri Jan 12, 2007 at 12:28pm.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

They ARE called NCAA football champions. Look at the NCAA's page for football champs:

http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/history/

As you can see, it says "Past Champions."
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 08:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
They ARE called NCAA football champions. Look at the NCAA's page for football champs:

BasketBallRef, is there an icon that depicts something going over someone's head?
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Your link posted above, is not an NCAA site. It is a CBSsportsline site with "NCAA" in its title/name.

The NCAA's site is www.NCAA.org. I could not find a list of NCAA Div. 1 football champions at that site.

edited in later -
The bold is a quote from:
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p...st_champs.html

"Past Division I-A Football National Champions

The NCAA does not conduct a national championship in Division I-A football and is not involved in the selection process. Since 1998, the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) has conducted a contest between it's two top-ranked teams to determine a national champion. More information on the BCS is available at their Web site.

A number of polling organizations also provide a final ranking of Division I-A football teams at the end of each season. Below is a year-by-year history of Division I-A football national champions as determined by the BCS championship game and these polling organizations. More information on national poll rankings is available in the Division I-A section of the NCAA Divison I-A/I-AA Football Records Book."

I can't wait for your response Mr T. Aggie.

Last edited by SamIAm; Fri Jan 12, 2007 at 12:36pm.