The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Wearing down?

Anyone else starting to wear down around this time of the season? I've felt like my mechanics and concentration are hard to keep sharp at times. I just totaled it up and I've called 105 games since mid-September, usually 2 games a night, but sometimes 3 and 4 a night a couple times. The 3-4 week break between basketball and baseball will be very nice.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:59am
Do not give a damn!!

If you are wearing down, it is because you worked 105 games. That is just way too many if you have been working since September. I might work 100 plus games if you include the summer, but that is about with several months off at a time (at least from basketball). And I am sure a lot of those games are 2 Person, which means more running and pounding on your body.

I will admit we are in the dog days around this time. And sometimes mentally you are a little testy than at any other time of the year. But I would not say I am physically beat up. I feel just as good as I have ever physically.

I would suggest that if this is how you feel at this time of the year, you might want to cut back on a game or two during the season each week. Working just to be working is not go for you physically and mentally.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you are wearing down, it is because you worked 105 games. That is just way too many if you have been working since September. I might work 100 plus games if you include the summer, but that is about with several months off at a time (at least from basketball). And I am sure a lot of those games are 2 Person, which means more running and pounding on your body.

I will admit we are in the dog days around this time. And sometimes mentally you are a little testy than at any other time of the year. But I would not say I am physically beat up. I feel just as good as I have ever physically.

I would suggest that if this is how you feel at this time of the year, you might want to cut back on a game or two during the season each week. Working just to be working is not go for you physically and mentally.

Peace
You're probably right. I've been thinking about that this month. The last three weeks including this one I've called on 6, 5, and 5 days during the week. I'm not going to call basketball next fall and do softball instead, so I won't start basketball until November most likely. I'll also probably block out an extra day a week and some Saturdays. I'm still pretty young so I didn't think it would be any big deal to work 5 nights a week, but it's pretty tough.

Physically I'm fine at this point. It's more mental/concentration than anything else.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 01:15am
Do not give a damn!!

I work on the regular basis only 3 games a week. I do have a couple of weeks with more scheduled games, but that is rare enough I usually look forward to them. For example this week I had a game on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and two on Saturday. This is rare for me. But I will not have another game after Saturday until next Friday (I had a game on Tuesday but had a chance to give it up). But a usual week outside of holiday tournaments, are only 3 days a week which include Tuesdays, Fridays and one game on Saturday. I stay fresh that way and I can actually look forward to each game.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 02:40am
Archaic Power Monger

Maybe you could try spending less time needling football officials on the football forum and more time sleeping?
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 09:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I work on the regular basis only 3 games a week. I do have a couple of weeks with more scheduled games, but that is rare enough I usually look forward to them. For example this week I had a game on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and two on Saturday. This is rare for me. But I will not have another game after Saturday until next Friday (I had a game on Tuesday but had a chance to give it up). But a usual week outside of holiday tournaments, are only 3 days a week which include Tuesdays, Fridays and one game on Saturday. I stay fresh that way and I can actually look forward to each game.

Peace
Rut, let me ask something. Did you always work this pace, or did you work more games as you were trying to "climb the ladder?" I'm thinking about strictly limiting my pace next year to about three nights a week; but I have a feeling that may slow my advancement (I'm willing to accept that.)
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 09:54am
In Time Out

It happens to all of us!
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 10:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Rut, let me ask something. Did you always work this pace, or did you work more games as you were trying to "climb the ladder?" I'm thinking about strictly limiting my pace next year to about three nights a week; but I have a feeling that may slow my advancement (I'm willing to accept that.)
I work about the same amount as JRut just laid out. But in my first 5-6 years I was filling my non-HS days with lots of Rec and Military ball.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I changed my schedule because when I took on a new job and moved, I realized that working everyday was for the birds. I stopped working girl's basketball for the most part.

All I (would) accept before the season were varsity nights games (Tuesday, Friday and Saturday) and fill in with the rest later. I learned I was much more motivated to work and not worn out. Also remember I worked two other sports and that is also a big factor in what I do. It was really much more about choices than trying to move up. If I still worked girl's basketball, I would be working on the other nights or two games on Saturday on a regular basis. I would not want to do that on a regular basis.

Peace