View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 10:55pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJT622 View Post
I apologize in advance since this is my first message here if these have been covered previously...and thanks in advance for clarifications...

1. When Team X experiences a backcourt violation by a member of Team X touching the ball in backcourt, where is the ball inbounded? For example, if the player touching the ball to deem the ball dead is just past midcourt or near top of key (3 pt line) or under the basket? Is it no matter where the touch takes place the inbounds goes out to midcourt or is it a sidelines or baseline inbounds based on where the actual "touch" takes place in backcourt?

2. Please verify for me that when an offensive shot is taken, for the 3-second-in-the-lane reset to take place the ball must hit the rim. In other words, I see (particularly with younger kids with poor aim) "air balls" that never hit the rim some referees allow players to stand in the lane what seems like forever when the ball never hits the rim. I realize it is a tough call because most ref's would expect the ball to at minimum hit the rim.

Thank you for any/all guidance. Great forum.
Like any violation, the inbounds spot is the spot nearest to where the violation occurred. On and over and back violation, the violation occurs at the spot where X touched the ball that caused you to blow your whistle for the violation. The throw-in spot doesn't become the division line, or the endline, or the foul line extended.

The 3-seconds in the key count continues until you deem that a shot was taken. That's it. If a shot misses the rim, the 3-second count is still restarted, no matter how poor the shot attempt was. It's all in the judgment of the officials.