The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Player leaves court

NAIA Womens game-
Home Player goes up for rebound and contact apparently gets "dislodged". Visitors get the rebound and push the ball on a fast break. The player with the contact runs off the floor at the table. Visitors pull the ball out and set up offense, my partner (C) blows the whistle and gives the T. (I didn't see the player leave the court as I was going from Trail to Lead.) Question: When do YOU blow this dead? What if visitors hadn't pulled the ball out and continued on the fast break? Even though they did pull it out, they were upset that we didnt "wait" on the T, since they had an obvious 5 on 4.
Any thoughts?
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

As for the "when" question, I'll stop play after the opponent's fast break ends (layup, shot & rebound, pulling up in the FC, whatever).

What I call will depend on her reason for leaving. If she's injured, I'll have an injury time out and no T (that's a legitimate reason for leaving the court). If she's mad that I didn't call a foul at the other end, then I'll call the T.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2refbball View Post
NAIA Womens game-
Home Player goes up for rebound and contact apparently gets "dislodged". Visitors get the rebound and push the ball on a fast break. The player with the contact runs off the floor at the table. Visitors pull the ball out and set up offense, my partner (C) blows the whistle and gives the T. (I didn't see the player leave the court as I was going from Trail to Lead.) Question: When do YOU blow this dead? What if visitors hadn't pulled the ball out and continued on the fast break? Even though they did pull it out, they were upset that we didnt "wait" on the T, since they had an obvious 5 on 4.
Any thoughts?

Are you saying the girl left in protest or did she simply run out of bounds and then re-entered? I'm guessing its the former.

Last edited by Spence; Thu Jan 22, 2009 at 11:29am.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Are you saying the girl left in protest or did she simply run out of bounds and then re-entered? I'm guessing its the former.
She just ran off the court, not in protest, but she didn't re-enter either.
Had she stayed on the floor with an obvious injury (or contact problem) we would have handled it like an injury. Like I said, i was transitioning from T to L and didn't see the girl run off the court, but neither partner indicated she was upset or left in protest.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 02:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Maybe she just had to replace her, uh, you know. Didn't we have this discussion recently?
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

There is no rule that supports a T here. The player certainly didn't leave deceptively. You guys kicked this one.

BTW under NCAA rules a scoring play ends when the offensive team ceases to advance the ball in an attempt to score. That is when the officials can stop the game for an injury.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
There is no rule that supports a T here. The player certainly didn't leave deceptively. You guys kicked this one.

BTW under NCAA rules a scoring play ends when the offensive team ceases to advance the ball in an attempt to score. That is when the officials can stop the game for an injury.
I have to admit after my partner blew his whistle and we got together, I really didnt know the penalty, and he had already signaled that it was a T, I've never had anyone just run off the court, and I just went with it.
I know the rule for when a scoring play ends, but we didn't have an injured player on the court, she just left, and really no one knew why at the time.