The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Blind Squirrel

You know the out saying "even a blind squirrel will find a nut once in a while" Well that is the case with my VG game this evening. 1A small school here in utah and both team are private schools, both into the liberal arts. Well the game was the worse display of basketball I have ever seen at the the "Level" The finall score was 61 to 4, the 4 points were a couple of FT's on two foul calls, both were kind of gimmies, i.e. phantom calls. The other field goal was the equivilant of the Blind Squirrel and the Nut. There was no redeeming value in the game other than the $55 game fee and that it was close to home. Half time was 36 to 1.

In football there is the mercy rule 35 points in the 32nd half, there should be such a rule in the NFHS rule book. If you were writing the rule what would your mercy rule be?

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post
In football there is the mercy rule 35 points in the 32nd half, there should be such a rule in the NFHS rule book. If you were writing the rule what would your mercy rule be?
You have to get clear to the 32nd half before you can apply the mercy rule?
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:15am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
You know the out saying "even a blind squirrel will find a nut once in a while" Well that is the case with my VG game this evening. 1A small school here in utah and both team are private schools, both into the liberal arts. Well the game was the worse display of basketball I have ever seen at the the "Level" The finall score was 61 to 4, the 4 points were a couple of FT's on two foul calls, both were kind of gimmies, i.e. phantom calls. The other field goal was the equivilant of the Blind Squirrel and the Nut. There was no redeeming value in the game other than the $55 game fee and that it was close to home. Half time was 36 to 1.

There is... but they leave it up to the state to adopt and institute the procedure. 5-5-3 Note.

Mine would be: 30 point differential - running clock in the 4th quarter (just like Illinois had a few years ago).
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
There is... but they leave it up to the state to adopt and institute the procedure. 5-5-3 Note.

Mine would be: 30 point differential - running clock in the 4th quarter (just like Illinois had a few years ago).
Currently in Missouri we are identical to Illinois.

If I were allowed to make a change, it wouldn't revert back to normal timing at a 20 point differential.

It would keep the game from going normal/running/normal/running/etc when you inevitably get the 30-28-30-28 situation
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Awh, come on Juulie, give the guy a smiley.

That was funny.

Rita
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:35am
We don't rent pigs

I've wondered about giving the trailing team the option to just throw in the towel at halftime, though I doubt many would do it. Nearby town has two 1A schools. The charter school, which has been in existence for a relatively short time, has built strong baseball and football teams, but basketball is lagging behind quite a bit. The public school has no baseball team, a so-so football team, but quite a strong basketball team, year in and year out. So when they play each other in basketball, let's just say the public school sets out to make a statement. Last week: 121-33

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 05:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In football there is the mercy rule 35 points in the 32nd half, there should be such a rule in the NFHS rule book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
As tanner states that rule is in the NFHS book.

By the way all of the NFHS-sanctioned state adoptions, including this one, are on page 68.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 05:47am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
If a half is 16 minutes, then maybe the mercy rule doesn't apply until you reach the 125th overtime.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

If it were up to me, mercy rule would be running clock for a 20 point differential in the 2nd half. If the losing team cuts the lead to 8, it reverts to regular timing.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
If a half is 16 minutes, then maybe the mercy rule doesn't apply until you reach the 125th overtime.
Careful, you're going to give Padgett an aneurysm.

Here in Ohio, if both coaches agree, we can shorten quarters (play 2 or 3 minutes instead of 6 or 7). I have yet to use this provision.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you were writing the rule what would your mercy rule be?
If the game is tied, or if either team is ahead, the clock will continue to run.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 09:36am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Not in Padgett's games.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Michigan adopted running clock at a 40 point spread anywhere in the game. Normal clock if losing team gets within 30.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 10:11am
Lighten up, Francis.

This thread ("Blind Squirrel") would be totally different if Jurrassic were still around. . .
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Minnesota has adopted a mercy rule this year. If the point differential gets to 35 points during the last nine minutes (remember we play 18 minute halves) the clock continues to run except for time-outs and injuries. Stop time will resume if the lead drops to 30 points.