The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 11:12am
Ch1town

How's the body?

Working 6 nights a week is big fun, but I'm learning that it wears on the body after a while.
How are you all holding up?

I suffered an injury Friday night, Q1 BV on a routine transition from T - L took one step (POP) strained my hammy
I made it through the game but I felt like I didn't do a great job because I couldn't focus 100% due to extreme pain. I thought since I was hurt that it was showing...
Oddly enough after reviewing the film, I wasn't quite as fast but I didn't look half bad & couldn't tell that I was limping either.
I was shocked, it felt like everyone could see me struggling.

After soaking, heating, icing the hammy & a plethora of tylenol w/codine, I woke up Saturday morning preparing for an afternoon contest. My mentor (crew chief) had one of the JV officials hang around just in case but surprisingly, I made it successfully through that game as well.

Thank goodness I have 48 hours to recoup & recover before the haul is back on!

I really don't want to turn games back, but I don't want the strain to turn into a tear either. How long has it taken any of you to recover from a popped hammy?
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

6 nights a week? Do you have a day job?

Hamstrings are brutal and you'll be feeling it for a while. The only real cure is rest and even walking isn't resting.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

at 60, doing 8 to 10 a week takes it's toll. I am a runner that trys to keep running even during the season. I usually run most days, year around. I have to cut back during this time of the year, but I think that staying in top shape keep the injuries to a minimum. hammy stuff can be caused by a lack of streaching and strengthening

Many time I talk to ref's that don't do alot of conditioning, and they seem to have more injuries.

Start a good year around conditioning program.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Working 6 nights a week is big fun, but I'm learning that it wears on the body after a while.

I suffered an injury Friday night, Q1 BV on a routine transition from T - L took one step (POP) strained my hammy

Thank goodness I have 48 hours to recoup & recover before the haul is back on!

I really don't want to turn games back, but I don't want the strain to turn into a tear either. How long has it taken any of you to recover from a popped hammy?
Very few of us on this Board on doctors, therefore, taking our advice should always be taken with a grain of salt -- and in many cases, a trip to a real doctor.

How long will a "pop" in a hamstring take to heal? Well, similar to the "dump" vs "da dump" in a jump stop/travel thread a while back, that "pop" could have been one of a multiple of things.

My son felt that "pop" playing in a tournament over Labor Day weekend. He was still unable to try out for basketball in November!!! He is in his early teens. An official that I work with quite frequently felt a "pop" last year in his leg. He tried to "work through it." He ended up getting sidelined about 10 days later for the rest of the year. He is in his 40s.

Bottom line is that until you know how serious that "pop" was (by the way, Tylenol w/codeine will MASK your pain temporarily, when you experience pain your body is telling you something -- it is always a good idea to listen!!), you need to be careful. A trip to the doctor is usually relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of months of lost games and rehab bills.

The idea of off-season and in-season conditioning is a sound one as well. If you are under 30, you will probably laugh this one off. If you are under 40, you may still be skeptical. If you are over 40, you are likely nodding in agreement. If you are over 50, you will almost certainly be involved in both.

This is the time of year when many will begin feeling the aches and pains. The best thing we can do in the short term is to stretch, stretch, and stretch some more before the game AND stretch, stretch, and stretch some more as a cool down AFTER the game.

Good luck.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I couldn't focus 100% due to extreme pain.
Why would you finish the game if you were in extreme pain?
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 12:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
To make sure it didn't go into OT.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 12:46pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Very few of us on this Board on doctors, therefore, taking our advice should always be taken with a grain of salt -- and in many cases, a trip to a real doctor.
Concur, I plan to do so Tueday morning. My job that pays the mortgage is at a hospital. Thanks for the advice about post-game stretching as I don't practice it! I'm under 35 & I guess I need to take better care of my body sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Call me crazy, but I've always been a soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
To make sure it didn't go into OT.
59 - 56 Final score
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 12:55pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Not as well as I used to......I did 2 Fri night and 5 yesterday and boy were my legs tired. Yep, as I get older I gotta moderate a bit more. Scheduling at this age can be like an all you can eat buffet when younger - the eyes are bigger than the stomach!
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 01:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Yesterday, I had two in the morning and three in the late afternoon. I had one of my grandsons with me for the afternoon games (he's nine). After watching me for three games, he couldn't believe that I knew "so many rules" (his words).

We stopped for ice cream on the way home and he kept commenting on how complicated the rules of the game were. He also said he didn't understand why there were so many rules against body contact. Did I mention he plays lacrosse? He likes that game because he gets to hit other kids with a stick.

When I got home, I loaded up on pain killers and took about a 30 minute hot shower. I had to do that or else my wife would kick me out of the house. Oh yeah - we went out for pizza for dinner and my grandson ate about 3/4 of a large. It baffles me how he can stay so skinny. Maybe it's all the exercise he gets hitting other kids with a stick.