The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Garth - how's your knee?

Just curious as to your progress. I had the same procedure today, although I think yours was a bit more complicated. When do you expect to be able to run on it? Good luck.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock
Just curious as to your progress. I had the same procedure today, although I think yours was a bit more complicated. When do you expect to be able to run on it? Good luck.
My issues were a torn MCL and a torn meniscus.

I have therapy three times a week and stretch and exercise daily. It is a delicate balance of increasing the strength, endurance and agility of the muscle groups above and below the knee without overstressing the ligaments or putting to much pressure or repetition on the meniscus.

We had to back off about a week ago because my recovery time started to increase after therapy instead of decrease.

I am now allowed to walk or ride a bike for 10-15 minutes as a warmup before my exercises. I still cannot run. Projected date for first jog is March 20, a week after the season opens here.

I'm visiting my parents in southern California right now, so I get the please of walking outdoors instead of on my treadmill.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the response. I just had a minor degenerative tear of the meniscus - no arthritis or ligament damage. I am optimistic about getting in a few more basketball games in March before baseball begins.

I hope you recover fully and ahead of schedule. Enjoy the SoCal sun.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Garth,

I got our assignement -- it's March 25th and you've got 2nd base on a 4 man crew!

Keep working and heal - best wishes.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Hey Garth,

I got our assignement -- it's March 25th and you've got 2nd base on a 4 man crew!

What assignment would this be? I'm curious because I know you guys live on opposite sides of the country
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB

I have therapy three times a week and stretch and exercise daily. It is a delicate balance of increasing the strength, endurance and agility of the muscle groups above and below the knee without overstressing the ligaments or putting to much pressure or repetition on the meniscus.

We had to back off about a week ago because my recovery time started to increase after therapy instead of decrease.
Too much, too soon? A fine balance it is.

Quote:
I am now allowed to walk or ride a bike for 10-15 minutes as a warmup before my exercises. I still cannot run. Projected date for first jog is March 20, a week after the season opens here.

I'm visiting my parents in southern California right now, so I get the please of walking outdoors instead of on my treadmill.
Such risk with so little reward. The slightest tweak of the knee due to an irregular surface in meniscal rehab can be a complete setback.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
What assignment would this be? I'm curious because I know you guys live on opposite sides of the country
This would be called a joke, my friend! A little levity to keep the spirits up. If Garth was on his death bed, I would tell him that he had the plate!
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This would be called a joke, my friend! A little levity to keep the spirits up. If Garth was on his death bed, I would tell him that he had the plate!
haha, went right over my head... I amaze myself with my stupidity sometimes.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey Garth,

That's almost as good as reality. I am scheduled as U3 in a three man game on March 22nd. I'll probably be turning that back.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am scheduled as U3 in a three man game on March 22nd. I'll probably be turning that back.
Best do that now.

As I posted way back when you were first wrongfully diagnosed (I offered that as well, Truth comes to fruition), you won't be up and officiating until later in April....at best. If you rush your recovery, you may pay with the rest of your officiating career.

That is your call. Be sure it isn't "Strike Three" and you're out.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 08:31am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
Best do that now.

As I posted way back when you were first wrongfully diagnosed (I offered that as well, Truth comes to fruition), you won't be up and officiating until later in April....at best.
No no no no no, you said May, I remember it clearly like in GarthB an MayB.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Hi Garth:

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Will you be doing more evaluating / mentoring this year until you are healed. Also, depending upon your recovery thinking about scheduling and becoming more involved in the assignment role.

Thanks
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Hi Garth:

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Will you be doing more evaluating / mentoring this year until you are healed. Also, depending upon your recovery thinking about scheduling and becoming more involved in the assignment role.

Thanks
Thanks, Pete.

Yes, I will be doing a lot of evaluating and mentoring this year. I also worked on our state's FED clinic and I am serve as the rules liason with the coaches.

As president of our association, I stay as far away from assigning as I can. We have restructured the association to stay in compliance with Washingstate and IRS regs and expectations to assist the umpires in maintaining an honest and defendable independent contractor relationship.

The assignor is now separate from the association and is also an independent contractor. Our primary control is that of hiring and firing.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
You promised we'd work a game in April. Are you trying to wiggle out of it?

Follow your therapist's and surgeon's instructions and hopefully you'll be fine.
As of today my trip to upstate and Ontario is still on. I'll call this week-end.