The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Perhaps "successful" would be a better choice of words there. The way that it reads now, one gets the impression that the author is expressing the opinion that the brother coming out onto the court during play was a positive thing. Obviously, that is not the case, but the idea is amusing.

PS
I think that opportunities for anyone on here to criticize the diction or sentence structure of mbyron are going to be very rare.
Nevada, I placed my modifier correctly, in a non-restrictive relative clause directly after the word or phrase modified. Only a (perhaps ironic) misreading yields the interpretation you suggest.

From one rules geek to another.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 07:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"I wuuuld layk tuu baay a dihmbehrgerr" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I placed my modifier correctly, in a non-restrictive relative clause directly after the word or phrase modified.
Sorry guys. I can't translate this into English. It's way, way, over my head. Only an advanced mbyron-English translator could successfully translate this, and I'm only a beginner. As far as I know mbyron is saying, "I would like to buy a hamburger".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Nevada, I placed my modifier correctly, in a non-restrictive relative clause directly after the word or phrase modified. Only a (perhaps ironic) misreading yields the interpretation you suggest.

From one rules geek to another.
You are, of course, correct about the placement of the modifier, and I even realized that before I wrote my post. I guess my suggestion has to be reduced to the level of what you could have done to prevent a possible misreading.

BTW I think that you are fantastic for the forum!
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

"Quite honestly, the reaction of the player as he left the floor wasn't much better. it was a freak accident. Evidently, it's a family of hot heads."

I think it is inappropriate for us to engage in name calling and make assumptions based on a single incident. Here is an article in the Providence Journal about the player:

http://www.projo.com/pc/content/sp_b...a067f.html?npc
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 11:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You are, of course, correct about the placement of the modifier, and I even realized that before I wrote my post. I guess my suggestion has to be reduced to the level of what you could have done to prevent a possible misreading.

BTW I think that you are fantastic for the forum!
Get a modified room.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Guaranteed to be a lot of cops around since it is the:
Dunkin' Dounuts Center

notice how the media doesn't deal with the story?
it has nothing to do with the brother who acted inappropriately it is all about the good kid and his trials and tribulations and the fact that he got fouled!
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

OH -

There were already plenty of articles dealing with the inappropriateness of his brother's action. This article was meant to give a more complete picture of the player. The player was heavily criticized by one of the announcers. I've always believed once you make a point, DROP IT. One of the the announcers just kept on repeating himself (don't know his name).
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMan View Post
"Quite honestly, the reaction of the player as he left the floor wasn't much better. it was a freak accident. Evidently, it's a family of hot heads."

I think it is inappropriate for us to engage in name calling and make assumptions based on a single incident. Here is an article in the Providence Journal about the player:

http://www.projo.com/pc/content/sp_b...a067f.html?npc
Uselss article -- the video shows it all -- No Foul - good call -- got away with a travelling and he acted like a drama queen. Ive been hit in worse places much harder and didnt have a recation near that.

I would agree with the family of hot heads comment as, I mean who comes out on the court -- the worst I have seen at AAU games I have done have been parents (and in 1 HS game -- but the kid really almost killed himself) after an injury and the coach is out there as well.

I mean come on what was the brother thinking? I would be more upset at my bro if he were acting like such a pansy. Flaling around, and throwing himself on the ground, he deserved an Oscar because I thought his defender stabbed him when he realized he had him beat to the rim.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 02:17pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I wonder if the officials stayed on the court to observe the post-game handshake. . .
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 09:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bad Boy In The Bay State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I wonder if the officials stayed on the court to observe the post-game handshake. . .
You're a bad boy.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Updated: January 27, 2009, 6:43 PM ET
Friars fan allegedly violated probation

Comment Email Print
ESPN.com news services

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- The brother of a Providence basketball player who ran onto the court to confront a referee was ordered held without bail Tuesday for allegedly violating his probation from a 2005 drug conviction.
[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Michael DwyerJonathan Xavier, the brother of a Providence player, is led off by security after confronting a referee on court during the Friars' Jan. 17 game against Marquette.

Jonathan Xavier came down the stands and jumped over the Providence bench during a nationally televised game on Jan. 17 to confront a referee. He was upset no foul was called after his brother, Providence guard Jeff Xavier, was hit in the face by a Marquette defender's arm while he was driving to the basket.
Xavier, 24, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to the disorderly conduct charge. Bail for that charge was set at $10,000.
A hearing has been scheduled Feb. 10 for a judge to decide whether he also violated probation.
"I saw him on the court but that was an unfortunate situation. I wish none of that happened," Jeff Xavier, quoted in The Providence Journal, said after the game. "I just want to move forward."
State prosecutors said Xavier pleaded no contest in 2005 to three drug charges. He received a six-year sentence but had to serve only eight months, with the remainder suspended.
If a judge finds he violated the terms of probation, which required him to stay out of trouble, he could have to serve some or all of the remaining years behind bars.
Providence officials said they would beef up security at games, posting uniformed police officers behind team benches.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Updated: January 27, 2009, 6:43 PM ET
Friars fan allegedly violated probation

Comment Email Print
ESPN.com news services

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- The brother of a Providence basketball player who ran onto the court to confront a referee was ordered held without bail Tuesday for allegedly violating his probation from a 2005 drug conviction.
[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Michael DwyerJonathan Xavier, the brother of a Providence player, is led off by security after confronting a referee on court during the Friars' Jan. 17 game against Marquette.

Jonathan Xavier came down the stands and jumped over the Providence bench during a nationally televised game on Jan. 17 to confront a referee. He was upset no foul was called after his brother, Providence guard Jeff Xavier, was hit in the face by a Marquette defender's arm while he was driving to the basket.
Xavier, 24, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to the disorderly conduct charge. Bail for that charge was set at $10,000.
A hearing has been scheduled Feb. 10 for a judge to decide whether he also violated probation.
"I saw him on the court but that was an unfortunate situation. I wish none of that happened," Jeff Xavier, quoted in The Providence Journal, said after the game. "I just want to move forward."
State prosecutors said Xavier pleaded no contest in 2005 to three drug charges. He received a six-year sentence but had to serve only eight months, with the remainder suspended.
If a judge finds he violated the terms of probation, which required him to stay out of trouble, he could have to serve some or all of the remaining years behind bars.
Providence officials said they would beef up security at games, posting uniformed police officers behind team benches.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Let me guess, Nevada.....you're a Georgetown alum badmouthing Providence.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Bob Knight and I noticed.
Yeah, and if the guy hadn't been working his 47th game that week - he would have noticed it too!!