The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Let's Be philosophical about officiating

officials go through a learning curve, and I think this typifies it. I think the problem with the learning is the last statement in bold. Many new officials are guided by older, and what is perceived to be knowledgeable, officials. one's who teach the new person flawed techniques. The newer officials gain ground faster when working with qualified officials.

The Four Stages

Unconscious incompetence
The individual neither understands or knows how to do something, nor recognizes the deficit or has a desire to address it.

Conscious incompetence
Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, he or she does recognize the deficit, without yet addressing it.

Conscious competence
The individual understands or knows how to do something. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires a great deal of consciousness or concentration.

Unconscious competence
The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it becomes "second nature" and can be performed easily (often without concentrating too deeply). He or she may or may not be able teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 08:29am
Administrator

Then should we ask the question: Why? Or perhaps we should ask: Why not? I do not know. Or do I not know the answer to: Why? Or do I not know the answer to: Why not? I do not know.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Isn't that "stolen" from Jim Evans, the baseball umpire?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 09:13am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Then should we ask the question: Why? Or perhaps we should ask: Why not? I do not know. Or do I not know the answer to: Why? Or do I not know the answer to: Why not? I do not know.

MTD, Sr.
Been reading Dr. Suess a lot lately?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Beachbum,

You must be a manager, a manager in training, or some type of educational leader/consultant . . .

Of course, you didn't address the possible 5th component of this paradigm, which is "Reflective Competence," where a person then uses the Unconscious Competence to affect the competence of another who is working to improve his/her level of competency, conscious or unconscious.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 10:37am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
Beachbum,

You must be a manager, a manager in training, or some type of educational leader/consultant . . .

Of course, you didn't address the possible 5th component of this paradigm, which is "Reflective Competence," where a person then uses the Unconscious Competence to affect the competence of another who is working to improve his/her level of competency, conscious or unconscious.
Apparently reading Jung or Freud had plenty of effect on you!
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Some other meaningless buzz words or phrases we can add to this fine topic ..... synergy, teaming for change, set the trap line, client-sided approach, brainstorm, push the envelope, empowerment......
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 10:48am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
Some other meaningless buzz words or phrases we can add to this fine topic ..... synergy, teaming for change, set the trap line, client-sided approach, brainstorm, push the envelope, empowerment......
This ain't "The Office"!!!! *grabbing my head in painful agony*
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
Beachbum,

Wow , thanks, most fans call me incompetent and blind.

I have been monotoring this subject waiting for Jurassic Referee , and his opinion. he talks similar to the best official I work with, no nonsense, to the point, and most of all abrasive.
I expect him to say this is all BS, and, let's just officiate!!
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 12:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Apparently reading Jung or Freud had plenty of effect on you!
Are you referring to Murray Jung and Solly Freud? I read them all the time. They're great!
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
Wow , thanks, most fans call me incompetent and blind.

I have been monotoring this subject waiting for Jurassic Referee , and his opinion. he talks similar to the best official I work with, no nonsense, to the point, and most of all abrasive.
I expect him to say this is all BS, and, let's just officiate!!
Exactly: Stop thinking and just ref!!

The problem for me is that I can't STOP the thinking, I'm compulsive. The only thing to do is to "think into the right direction". Jurassic is very unhelpful in that direct endeavor!! Although, I'll give him credit for helping inadvertently when he quotes a rule, or cites a case play or sitch. Then, I've got something to think about!

Your "stages of reffing" is really good, and I like bigdog adding "Reflective Competence". I'd like there to be a stage where there is competence in choosing which philosophy one is using that game, depending on the level of play, abilities of partner, type of gym and so on. It's highly competent, but also highly conscious, and not just auto-pilot.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Exactly: Stop thinking and just ref!!

The problem for me is that I can't STOP the thinking, I'm compulsive. The only thing to do is to "think into the right direction". Jurassic is very unhelpful in that direct endeavor!! Although, I'll give him credit for helping inadvertently when he quotes a rule, or cites a case play or sitch. Then, I've got something to think about!

Your "stages of reffing" is really good, and I like bigdog adding "Reflective Competence". I'd like there to be a stage where there is competence in choosing which philosophy one is using that game, depending on the level of play, abilities of partner, type of gym and so on. It's highly competent, but also highly conscious, and not just auto-pilot.
So would that make you Highly Reflectively Unconsciously Competent? Or is that just a entirely new realm of Consciousness?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 01:49pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Been reading Dr. Suess a lot lately?

Absolutely not! Andy and Mark, Jr., are 15 and 18 years of age, respectively, and I had better not be a grandfather yet. Heck, come to think of it I am too young (57) to be a father, LOL.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 02:32pm
We don't rent pigs

Similar to what I have always heard:

1. Those who can, do.

2. Those who can't, teach.

3. Those who are totally clueless, officiate.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Do or do not. There is no try.