The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 02:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
Agree with your statement, but how is mine incorrect? If you are just standing (or in this case lying) somewhere and not guarding anybody then how is LGP relevant?
It's not really, but the question is really moot, I think. Maybe he was guarding him (trying to get the ball, perhaps), maybe he wasn't. That's not the key; the key is whether he was moving.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's not really, but the question is really moot, I think. Maybe he was guarding him (trying to get the ball, perhaps), maybe he wasn't. That's not the key; the key is whether he was moving.
OK perhaps I should clarify then b/c I assumed he wasn't trying to guard him. If he is just laying there not trying to guard him then LGP is irrelevant b/c he isn't trying to guard him. If he is laying there trying to guard him then LGP is irrlevant b/c he isn't moving. In any event LGP is irrelevant. Better?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

A1 rebounds the ball and takes off heading for his basket. B3 is standing at the free-throw line with his back to the play. A1 runs into B3 displacing him. What do you have? Now say B3 was laying on the floor when A1 trips over him. What do you have now? Is B3 responsible for contact in either of these sitchs?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
A1 rebounds the ball and takes off heading for his basket. B3 is standing at the free-throw line with his back to the play. A1 runs into B3 displacing him. What do you have? Now say B3 was laying on the floor when A1 trips over him. What do you have now? Is B3 responsible for contact in either of these sitchs?
PC in first example, probably nothing in second...if he just trips on him that probably isn't enough contact for a foul and there is no advantage gained....if he goes off the top rope and lands on him then I probably have something...
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

from my original sit: when A1 hits the floor, in control of the ball, are you saying "play on"? you can't be calling a traveling violation, could you?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Triping Over Players on Floor...

What a long, strange tripe it's been.
Well, that takes guts.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdray View Post
from my original sit: when A1 hits the floor, in control of the ball, are you saying "play on"? you can't be calling a traveling violation, could you?
I wasn't going beyond the contact, but if A1 trips, controls/holds the ball and goes to the floor then yes I have a travel...how could you have nothing there? What if A1 goes down the lane, brushes the shoulder of B1 who is standing still in the lane (you judge to be no foul either way) and as a result of the contact loses his balance and takes three steps with the ball? What do you have?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

if B1 is laying on the floor, right behind and out of the field of vision of A1, and non-incidental contact (A1 falling to the floor) occurs, that's a blocking foul on B1(caused by an illegal screen if you will)
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 03:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
if B1 is laying on the floor, right behind and out of the field of vision of A1, and non-incidental contact (A1 falling to the floor) occurs, that's a blocking foul on B1(caused by an illegal screen if you will)
Not if A1 has the ball. If A1 has the ball, time and distance are not required.

If A1 does not have the ball, time and distance could be a factor.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 03:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
OK perhaps I should clarify then b/c I assumed he wasn't trying to guard him. If he is just laying there not trying to guard him then LGP is irrelevant b/c he isn't trying to guard him. If he is laying there trying to guard him then LGP is irrlevant b/c he isn't moving. In any event LGP is irrelevant. Better?
I don't think it's ever relevant whether he's trying to guard him.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 04:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Yes, you can. You can't ignore the violation.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not if A1 has the ball. If A1 has the ball, time and distance are not required.

If A1 does not have the ball, time and distance could be a factor.
Upon further review I agree compltely. He could fall at his feet and you are right you don't apply the screening principles to a player with the ball....I just had a hard time in my head penalizing A1 for something completely out of his visual field, but that's the way it goes....
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think it's ever relevant whether he's trying to guard him.
Just to take it a step further though, what is your definition of "moving"? What if he is trying to get up, is he moving?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

My question?

Did A trip over B on the floor? Or
Did B trip A while on the floor?

In my mind there is a difference. We dont call a tripping foul everytime somone falls down do we?

B1 was not flopping, etc... B1 was on the floor going after a loose ball making a legitimate attempt..would not B1 be allowed the opportunity to get up etc? (he was at the spot first?)

If A tripped on the player, I'd not be very inclined to call the foul
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Had players littering the floor in my game last night. Here's one:

Long, floating pass to A1 halfway down the court. A1 and B1 bump shoulders as they both go for the ball. A1 catches the pass, lands on his feet, sorta falls/sits down, and ends up lying on the court.

I whistle, and the B coach (right behind me) shouts "No!" until I signal travel. Then he's like, "Oh, OK," and we go the other way...