The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Triping Over Players on Floor... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50993-triping-over-players-floor.html)

jhc2010 Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:30am

Triping Over Players on Floor...

A1 trips and falls over B1 who was on the floor after diving for a loose ball.

Is this a foul on B1? Is it always called this way? What if A1 sees an opponent on the floor and intentionally falls over them?

Ch1town Fri Jan 16, 2009 01:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhc2010 (Post 569253)

Is this a foul on B1? Is it always called this way? What if A1 sees an opponent on the floor and intentionally falls over them?

1. Perhaps
2. Never
3. A1 is a knucklehead, you know how to manage knuckleheads right?

bob jenkins Fri Jan 16, 2009 08:52am

Quote:

In general, this is a foul on B1 in college, but not in FED (B1 is allowed to be lying on the floor, as long as the rest of the act of getting there was legal).

In your last example, I'd either have nothing or a foul on A1.

ma_ref Fri Jan 16, 2009 08:59am

Quote:

What if A1 sees an opponent on the floor and intentionally falls over them?

I'd certainly have no call on B laying on the floor. However on A1 the argument could possibly be made that this was a flop, penalized with a T for unsportsmanlike conduct. I'd probably hold off on the T, unless A1 really tried to sell the flop by complaining to me about not calling a foul on B...

BktBallRef Fri Jan 16, 2009 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma_ref (Post 569302)
I'd certainly have no call on B laying on the floor. However on A1 the argument could possibly be made that this was a flop, penalized with a T for unsportsmanlike conduct. I'd probably hold off on the T, unless A1 really tried to sell the flop by complaining to me about not calling a foul on B...

How is it a flop if A1 trips and falls over B1? :confused:

ma_ref Fri Jan 16, 2009 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 569308)
How is it a flop if A1 trips and falls over B1? :confused:

OP said A1 intentionally falls over B1. Could be construed as trying to draw a foul, much like a defender falling backwards on purpose during a block/charge scenario.

mbyron Fri Jan 16, 2009 09:55am

Quote:

Now that's just gross. :D

BktBallRef Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma_ref (Post 569316)
OP said A1 intentionally falls over B1. Could be construed as trying to draw a foul, much like a defender falling backwards on purpose during a block/charge scenario.

Trying to draw a foul is not illegal.

mdray Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 569298)
In general, this is a foul on B1 in college, but not in FED (B1 is allowed to be lying on the floor, as long as the rest of the act of getting there was legal).

I had this situation in a high school varsity game: A1 grabs a rebound at B's basket. B1 falls to the floor behind A1. A1 does not see B1 on the floor.
As A1 begins to turn to head up the court, A1 stumbles on B1 and falls to the floor over B1, maintaining player control. no call? travel? foul on B1?

to me, the contact that occurred was the result of B1 not being in a legal guarding position, so I called a foul on B1.....was I wrong?

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:23pm

What a long, strange tripe it's been. :cool:

jeffpea Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdray (Post 569375)
I had this situation in a high school varsity game: A1 grabs a rebound at B's basket. B1 falls to the floor behind A1. A1 does not see B1 on the floor.
As A1 begins to turn to head up the court, A1 stumbles on B1 and falls to the floor over B1, maintaining player control. no call? travel? foul on B1?

to me, the contact that occurred was the result of B1 not being in a legal guarding position, so I called a foul on B1.....was I wrong?

good call, foul on B1. i wish more officials would make that call.....

Adam Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdray (Post 569375)

Was B1 moving when contact occurred? If not, why was LGP an issue?

slow whistle Fri Jan 16, 2009 02:10pm

[QUOTE=mdray;569375]I had this situation in a high school varsity game: A1 grabs a rebound at B's basket. B1 falls to the floor behind A1. A1 does not see B1 on the floor.

to me, the contact that occurred was the result of B1 not being in a legal guarding position, so I called a foul on B1.....was I wrong?[/QUOTE

It doesn't sound like B1 was guarding anyone in your example, why is LGP relevant?

Adam Fri Jan 16, 2009 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow whistle (Post 569436)
It doesn't sound like B1 was <strike>guarding anyone</strike>moving in your example, why is LGP relevant?

Fixed it.

slow whistle Fri Jan 16, 2009 02:29pm

Agree with your statement, but how is mine incorrect? If you are just standing (or in this case lying) somewhere and not guarding anybody then how is LGP relevant?