Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 11:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Ever have two coaches go at it?

Interesting one last night.

BTW, this was the same two teams as this thread:

Inbounds play after a made basket

I should've known something interesting would happen at the end.

About 40 seconds left, 3 point game, home team down. Ball came on the court, trap near the division line, pass to the far side, THEN I notice the visiting coach at the table screaming in my direction.

H had the ball, we killed the clock, it was obvious the clock hadn't started.

I had 2 closely guarded counts each reach 4 seconds, so we had definite knowledge of at least 8 seconds that should've come off.

Yeah, yeah, I should've looked at the clock, but like I said, the inbounds pass was thrown right to the frontcourt of the division line and I had a trap right in front of me from the moment the ball was caught inbounds. We were working 2-person.

As I head to the table, the home coach is screaming for a technical for the coach being out of his box - so much so that I decided to abandon the clock issue for a moment and walk over and talk to him.

Then the other coach started screaming for an unsportsmanlike technical for the home coach. Then they started to talk to each other. Bad blood I didn't know existed started to flow. I talked to the home coach and tried to calm him down and something triggered him pointing at the other coach and walking towards him a step or two before he got to me. I told him to put his finger down or HE was going to get hit with a technical and not to worry about the clock situation.

At this point, I hear someone yell, "Bring it on." No, I didn't know it was the visiting coach. Partner was with him trying to get him calmed down. Finally we convinced the coaches that they were in the process of ruining a great finish and they were finally calm. Home coach essentially said that "every time he comes in here he's such a jerk." I found out later the V coach said the same thing.

Now, the clock. Partner went to the table, I went to the V coach and explained. He wanted 2 more seconds off. I told him we had knowledge of 8 and that's what's coming off. Not thrilled, but I think he understood.

The only thing we missed here was the double technical we should've assessed. It would've cost both coaches the box and nothing more. But we were most interested in restoring order, it seemed both coaches were about equally to blame, and the game ended quietly when the home team player traveled on the next possession and then we shot some free throws and went home.

I don't have this game next season. I'm not sad.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 11:26am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Wow, great story (to read, not be involved in I guess)!

Worst I've had like that was at REC Ball. B12U. Unbelievable! The competitiveness over the dreaded player participation rule. At the table -"He didn't sub correctly!" "Yes, I did! Pay attention to your own team!" "You have an unfair advantage!" "Get away from me!" etc. etc. TWEET!

Called them together - Gentlemen you're embarassing yourselves and not setting a good example. A Coach if you want to alert the league do so in writing after the game. League rules say - not my job and it won't be corrected here. Any further discussion on this will be subject to T's!

It was really heated. Set a bad example for the kids. Situation went away.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

YES! 2-3 years ago, big BV tournament in our area. Championship game. (Ball coming in at Baseline/endline (you choose)) I am trail going to new lead. Team A is set up to press (full court). Team A player mumbles something in front of Team B bench on the inbounds play. Team B coach starts jawing with Team A player. I look at both and tell them to knock it off, but the player continues, and then so does the coach. About 2-3 seconds later, here comes the Team A coach screaming at the Team B coach. Team B coach returns the favor. Now the two coaches are about 10ft from each other both yelling. I walk in between them give the ole' whistle as loud a tweet as I ever have and stick both with a T. I literally had to yell over them, and then to them to "Sit Down . . . NOW!! Not another word from either of you!"

No problems after that, but a few minutes later the Team A coach asked, "Ref, why did you have to give me a T?"
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 11:34am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

About ten or eleven years ago I had two kids rec coaches slapping each other and pulling hair in the parking lot after a game. Yeah, they were women. It got broken up pretty quickly and they were both kicked out for the season, since some of the kids saw this. I never did find out what brought it on but during the game, one team had a big lead and kept pressing until we hit the mercy rule (20 point lead), so maybe that was it.

Man, I wish I had a video of that chickfight. They were both hot.

Oh - sorry Juulie and Rita. Just feeling manly this morning.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Had this but not at varsity level. Was doing 8th grade tourny Jan 4th. Same sit - coaches don't like each other. Teams have played each other 7 times in past two years. Every game decided under 3 points so I've been told. Lot's of whine with every call from one side or another. Once again we have a 3 pt game near end of 4th quarter - 15 seconds remaining.

Partner whistles and reports, then I hear commotion and look back at table. Both coaches sitting, but leaning over court screaming at each other. I went over and stepped between so they couldn't see each other and told them both they could control themselves or I could blow a whistle for double T AND if I did blow the whistle the second was going to be coming quickly. They quieted down. Little did I know that a fan had called 911.

Following the game - a 3 point decision, as we were going to leave we were behind bench (only play we can go to get out of dodge to our room) and coach B's HS delinquent son jumps over bench and attacks partner, but trips on bench and face plants on floor. We look to get out other direction but Dad comes at me from there. Soon had lots of game admin people stepping in front of us. Went out side door to car with game management bringing us our bags. As we were driving out of parking lot see cops talking to coach. Learned later that coach resigned the next day. A parent of his own team turned him in. The parent was head jailer at the county jail and backed us 100%. Yeow - 8th grade.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

About 20 yrs ago I was at a tournament and afterwards in the parking lot two coaches were going at it...one of them was standing in front of a car window and the other one went to punch him and missed and knocked out the car window instead....then he turned and did the exact same thing to another car window with the other fist...he stood there with two bloody fists looking dazed...crazy...wait nevermind that didn't happen to me, just have seen it so many times it feels like a part of me...
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
About 20 yrs ago I was at a tournament and afterwards in the parking lot two coaches were going at it...one of them was standing in front of a car window and the other one went to punch him and missed and knocked out the car window instead....then he turned and did the exact same thing to another car window with the other fist...he stood there with two bloody fists looking dazed...crazy...wait nevermind that didn't happen to me, just have seen it so many times it feels like a part of me...
That's funny right thar . . . I don't care who you are.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
Mercy is for the weak. We do not train to be merciful.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

take care of business

I had this kind of stuff happen at an AAU tourney last year -
all three officials whacked somebody about the same time.
We end up with double T's and both coaches were on wrist straps (rather than the leash) for the rest of the game.

Once they got whacked - it was a fairly good game the rest of the way.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
See this mostly in AAU season. I have had a sitch where two coaches were bitter rivals sinc e they played in HS, and they had continued that rivalry in college and beyond. Always interesting when their teams met. Last time they played (one of the men moved on to greener pastures), there was a shouting match in the hallway after the game.

Typical Chicago stuff.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Had this a few years ago. Two coaches - the younger one had played for the older coach in high school - came toward the halfcourt line and began to argue. One of my partners, who was a very seasoned veteran, stopped the game and said, "Guys, I don't care if you want to meet each other in the parking lot, but it's not gonna happen here. You both just lost your box privileges. Not sit down so we can play ball." No T's were issued.

Amazingly, about two trips later, the younger coach jumped up and yelled about a call. Whack.
They both got the message.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Not basketball, but a frosh baseball saturday dbl hdr.
V team w/coach (approx 28) wins both games by large margin, no complaints, chirping, or close plays. Partner and I are walking away as teams are lined up shaking hands at home plate, when H coach (approx 65) tackles V coach, both rolling around on homeplate.
Asst coaches from both teams pull them apart, V coach was WTH was that about? H coach just walks away, pointing at Partner and I saying "Oh yea, and your calls were awful" and never wanted to see us again. I just Had to respond that I had his game there next Tues.
Tues Game- H coach approaches me, apologizes--had apologized to team and parents at a meeting, called Vcoach for same----smooth game that day.....
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

I had a report from one player that an opponent was calling them names. I hadn't heard anything but given the situation, it wouldn't have surprised me. I appealed to the coach to talk to the player but they weren't having any of it. They figured I was full of it and out to get them. The opposing coach wasn't pleased, and I didn't blame them, but I don't know what else to do when a coach won't work with you on a sportsmanship issue. The game wasn't really close but I still put the screws to the teams for a few minutes when it came to calling fouls. I don't see those coaches exchanging Christmas cards this year.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Watched a game (8th grade championship) with one team clearly way, way better than the other. Their coach started them out slowly, but by the middle of the first quarter, they were pressing hard, stealing in the backcourt and then laying it up again. About four or five times in a row. Coach wasn't even watching, but doing something on a clipboard. Team kept pressing, kept stealing, kept laying it up. Something like 10 times in a row. Finally, the losing coach walked down past the table and yelled at winning coach, "Good press coach." And walked back. Winning coach got the message. Refs didn't do anything, I'm not sure they even saw it. Winners won by like 50 or 60. Went on to win a national championship. 4 of the 5 starters got college scholarships. Really great team.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 06:26pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
Not basketball, but a frosh baseball saturday dbl hdr.
V team w/coach (approx 28) wins both games by large margin, no complaints, chirping, or close plays. Partner and I are walking away as teams are lined up shaking hands at home plate, when H coach (approx 65) tackles V coach, both rolling around on homeplate.
Asst coaches from both teams pull them apart, V coach was WTH was that about? H coach just walks away, pointing at Partner and I saying "Oh yea, and your calls were awful" and never wanted to see us again. I just Had to respond that I had his game there next Tues.
Tues Game- H coach approaches me, apologizes--had apologized to team and parents at a meeting, called Vcoach for same----smooth game that day.....
Had something similar to this, in a youth baseball league where the teams are sponsored by parochial schools. The coaches of the two teams had been rivals since they were kids, and had sons who were the same age. After the game, they got into a shouting match so bad the kids were refusing to shake hands out of fear all h*ll was going to break loose. A bunch of dads started to run on the field, and I was running off because I didn't want a part of it. Sure enough, a shoving match ensued, but eventually some level-headed old-timers walked out there and starting grabbing guys and throwing them out of the way.

To top that all off, the same two churches (the schools and churches are the same) participate in a men's slow-pitch league, and lo and behold, that was the day AFTER the baseball fracas. Yes, I was the umpire both times. Wasn't even an inning before I had to stop the game for a double forfeit because the same two a**holes went at it again and caused a bench clearing brawl. I went ahead and declared the second game a double forfeit also (because this was before the ejection led to a suspension rule in our area) because I wanted none of this s**t. The old-timers who were there to watch the games agreed with me. Mysteriously, I found a 6-pack waiting for me in my truck when I was done that night. I suspect one of the old-timers was "compensating" me for my troubles.