The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 03:48pm
Ch1town

Let's hear it

Alright officials, we are either 1/3 or 1/2 way into our seasons. Not that we enjoy having to do it, but how many Ts have you issued so far & what level.

Out of 30 gms just 4 for me (2 on varsity players, 1 on jv bench & 1 pre-game dunk varsity).
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

- One to a boys MS coach after I warned him for his bench's chirping about non-calls. (That's a foul, over the back, travel, etc) I guess he didn't like it that I was warning his bench so he told me "I'm just getting started" in a rather loud voice while exiting his box walking toward the endline.

- One in a boys JV game for reaching over the boundary line and slapping the ball.

- One last night during a boys 8th grade game. It was the championship game of a tournament. The two teams were from the same city. We had each warned the visitors about chirping. I called a foul on one of the V's players for a hold. He turns right toward me and says "What....come on!!" Whack. The coaches can't fathom why I would T him. They said he was just showing emotion. Yeah....right.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more administrative T for adding a player to the book. I didn't give any last year and that's four for me this year. Should be five but I called a kid for an intentional and not a T during another boys JV game.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

25 games, still 0-fer.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

15 games or so, 1 T. JV girls, administrative T (adding player to book midway into 1st quarter.)
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

15 BV/GV so far and zero personally...would have had one but my partner got the whistle to his lips quicker than I did on a HC...only other one in any of my games was a player telling my partner "you suck"....thought he should handle that himself...coaches have been unusually subdued this year in my games, no idea what it is? El Nino?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

about 20 games and 2 -- 1 BV and 1 BJV, both on players for being overy demonstrative after a call. The JV one surprisingly was a call that went his way.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

20 games college 11 high school

2 NCAAM DIII same game 3 games
Player gave C the F foul and the infamose dead ball dunk

0 NCAAW DIII 9 games

0 NJCAAW 8 games

2 Boys VHS 4 games
1 coach behavior problems 1 admin

1 girls VHS 5 games
Little lady had a potty mouth

currently 35 dates left to go.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

26 games to date; 2 admin T's for players not in the book.

The first and only coach T was last weekend in a frosh game, when the visiting coach got in my face and said, "you've GOT to call that travel!"

It turns out that I did not have to after all.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I've called an infinite number so far. I hope to increase that tonight to infinity plus 10.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I've called an infinite number so far. I hope to increase that tonight to infinity plus 10.
That's not an increase (same cardinality).
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

One for a MS 8th grade coach for swearing rather loudly at me and my partner. Partner later said that the coach had a right to be upset and I was wrong in giving a T
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHSAref View Post
One for a MS 8th grade coach for swearing rather loudly at me and my partner. Partner later said that the coach had a right to be upset and I was wrong in giving a T
Did you proceed to give your partner a T for being an idiot?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

I must have missed that part in the interp meeting.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHSAref View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
Did you proceed to give your partner a T for being an idiot?
Probably told him he'd cost the coach the game.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:37pm
Administrator

Four (4) technical fouls:

TF #1: Head Coach of a girls' H.S. varsity team during a scrimmage game (4th scrimmage of the season; 1 men's college, 4 girls' H.S., and 3 boys' H.S.). I also issued the appropriate reminder that a second TF would require disqualification from the game. See Footnote #1.

TF #2: My third game of the season (1 men's college and 1 girls' H.S. before this game) is a boys' Jr. H.S. doubleheader (7th grade followed by 8th grade). Early in the first quarter of the 7th grade game, I am T, TS, and turn to go to L and have the V-HC standing past the S/TT, almost in front of the Home Bench. I walk him back to his coaching box as I go to my L position and remind him to stay in the Coaching Box. H1 intecepts a pass in the Mid-court (you young whippersnappers will have to go back over thirty years to learn about the MC Area) area and is racing down the court toward Team H's basket. V-HC beats me across the division line (MTD, Jr. will tell you that is not difficult to do, ) as I go from L to T. WHACK!! And he says to me: "How can you call that in a 7th grade game?" And this coach is a H.S. baseball umpire in MichiganHSAA and is a former girls' H.S. varsity coach.

TF #3: My third game of the season (1 men's college and 1 girls' H.S. before this game) is a boys' Jr. H.S. doubleheader (7th grade followed by 8th grade). Early in the second quarter, V6 goes completely out-of-bounds to guard H1 who is attempting a throw-in after a Team V field goal. There is ten feet of space behind each endline on this court and the H1 was about six feet away from the endline and V6 was close enough to him to be considered closely guarding him under NCAA Women's and FIBA rules. Appropriate official warning was issued. Early in the third quarter, H1 has ball out-of-bounds for a sideline throw-in when V6 (the same one that caused the warning in the second quarter) goes complete out-of-bounds to guard H1. WHACK!

TF #4: My third game of the season (1 men's college and 1 girls' H.S. before this game) is a boys' Jr. H.S. doubleheader (7th grade followed by 8th grade). Early in the fourth quarter V6 (yes the same player from TF #3) misses a layup and then fouls H2 in attempt to get the rebound. V6 didn't think he commited a foul and slammed the ball to the floor to show is displeasure with my foul call. WHACK!

Footnote #1: Why was the reminder necessary you ask since it was only a scrimmage game? Scrimmage games can be conducted pretty much anyway the coaches want to conduct them. That mean's it can be running clock periods; no free throw except for shooting fouls; no periods at all, just situaional scrimmaging; etc. But the OhioHSAA does regulate how many scrimmages a team can participate in a season and how long a scrimmage can last. And because soccer can be such an out-of-control sport, flagrant conduct, now matter what the sport or level of competition, is to be penalized. In other words, flagrant conduct is flagrant conduct. And had this HC received a second TF during the scrimmage, not only would he have had to sit out the first two varsity games of the season (as well as not be on the bench for any jr. varsity, and freshmen games until the first two varsity game of the season had been played) he would have had to play the ejection fine that coaches must pay (only checks drawn on the coaches personal checking accoung, money orders, or certified bank checks are exceptable; a check drawn on a school accout will automatically be rejected) as well as complete the mandatory online sportsmanship course (we officials call it the anger management course).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 04:38pm. Reason: Editing reasons.