The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kgeorge0263
2 person game that could've used a 3rd

Working a girls varsity game tonight, 2 big time rivals (both private schools) and both with 1 loss. Early this afternoon I found out that our R turned back the game, and I suspected that we'd run a 2 person, since tonight was a big night for the BCS Championship. Being a Gator Fan, I should've blocked out the date.

Play 1: Anyways...before the half, my partner and I had a play ( I was the lead) where there was a quick turnover situation (ball started on the baseline) and quickly went to mid court as a loose ball. As the ball is going is going out of bounds, white team may have been pushed out of bounds by blue, but I was 45-50 feet away still closed down, so my angle wasn't good. My partner couldn't help me...so I thought if the sitation had happened again, that I would've had a foul on blue....So I was stuck and gave the ball to white, as the ball may have been out of bounds also prior to white touching it out of bounds. Both coaches thought it was their ball....

Play 2: About 30 seconds left in the game. White is down 3 and they shoot with a White player gaining an offensive rebound on the opposite sid of the lane (I was the lead). From my angle her feet got tangled and she went to the floor (I did have a bad angle)...so I call travel. My partner said he didn't have anything.... C would've been there to confirm, but with 2 people, I can't say we both had a good look... Home crowd was not happy...

Any feedback if you were in my shoes? (wear size 12)....

-KG
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

I wear 15EE, and have officiated for a long time. For most of the years I officiated and played, 2 man was it. While it is always nice to have more eyes, and to have the guy cover more ground in these days of better trained players, if you have 2 you can still do a great job.

1. Yes, something happens where we may have to make an ATT call, find an angle on a play, make your call. On a play like this, don't be afraid, to poach into your partner's calling area, if you have the angle to see the play.
2. Work deeper on baseline to get more perspective (if you can). Keep your head on a swivel, so you can get as good a look as you can at both sides of the lane.

In a 2 man, it also helps to really know the game, like where shots tend to go if they are missed, where do the bigs like to set up and how to see the whole play. If you know the game, and hustle, you can see what you have to see to call a great game. IMO, the biggest problems we have to deal with in 2 man these days are the 3 point shot, and the quick run out by the defense. For a lead especially, it is hard to get out on the 3 point line, cover a shot, then also see the rebounding inside.

Then it is getting harder in a 2 man to cover a team that runs the floor a lot. You really have to know how to cover run outs and breaks, sometimes when you are beaten down the floor. It just takes some time and practice to do great 2 man mechanics.

Last edited by jkumpire; Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 12:18am.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like scenarios that happened (and still happen in some leagues) in boys JV games for years. Two of the biggest leagues in our area now use 3-man crews for FR/JV boys games. Two of the reasons are situations that you described in your post.

In many cases, the stronger JV referees do a better job of handling these situations -- not because they are better officials, but because they are not accustomed to having the "helpful eyes" of a center referee.

The first thing I would like to point out is that if you only had two situations -- two situations that you may have gotten correct, anyway -- you probably had a pretty darn good game.

In the first situation, it would have been nice if your partner would have been able to help, but it does not always happen. In quick transition, one difference between 2-man and 3-man is that the trail-becomes-lead official will run looking over his shoulder in 2-man (he has near sideline responsibility), but will frequently run looking straight forward in 3-man (only end line responsibility). If your partner is accustomed to 3-man, this may be a contributing factor as to why he could not help. I prefer to run looking over my shoulder in three man as well. Even though I don't have responsibility for either sideline, I can still see the players that will be moving into my area.

In the second situation, the situation can be very challenging. Since it was a rebound, it would have been nice for a little help from your partner, but this is not always possible.

In these two situations, you may have missed them. But, just because the fanatics (I mean fans) and coaches for the visiting team were upset in the first situation and the home team were not happy in the second does not necessarily mean that you were wong in either in case.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 08:05am.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I agree with CMH on his point about if you only had two plays eating on you, you guys had a good game.

In response to your first question, as a L in transition I try to lag up the floor a little so that if needed I can assist my partner but not to lag too much that a quick pass up the floor will catch me way out of position. I don't want to worry so much about getting beat down the floor, that I leave my partner out to dry. This is something to pre-game though.

As others stated in regards to your second question, work hard to maintain angles.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kgeorge0263
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

I rarely work two person on any games other than lower level.

I treat the T position as C. I think that you do not leave lead hung out to dry as much when you are at the FT line extended or below when the ball hits the rim. This is harder to do in a really fast paced up and down game. I will adjust on that.

I will also go wider at lead when the ball is below the FT line extended on my side. I will go as far as the 3 point line so that I have a good look at the shooter at the baseline and the action on the rebound. If L goes wide, then T has to be C.

I think that the good JV officials are much better at handling the situation than I am because the do this day in and day out with 2 person mechanics.