View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like scenarios that happened (and still happen in some leagues) in boys JV games for years. Two of the biggest leagues in our area now use 3-man crews for FR/JV boys games. Two of the reasons are situations that you described in your post.

In many cases, the stronger JV referees do a better job of handling these situations -- not because they are better officials, but because they are not accustomed to having the "helpful eyes" of a center referee.

The first thing I would like to point out is that if you only had two situations -- two situations that you may have gotten correct, anyway -- you probably had a pretty darn good game.

In the first situation, it would have been nice if your partner would have been able to help, but it does not always happen. In quick transition, one difference between 2-man and 3-man is that the trail-becomes-lead official will run looking over his shoulder in 2-man (he has near sideline responsibility), but will frequently run looking straight forward in 3-man (only end line responsibility). If your partner is accustomed to 3-man, this may be a contributing factor as to why he could not help. I prefer to run looking over my shoulder in three man as well. Even though I don't have responsibility for either sideline, I can still see the players that will be moving into my area.

In the second situation, the situation can be very challenging. Since it was a rebound, it would have been nice for a little help from your partner, but this is not always possible.

In these two situations, you may have missed them. But, just because the fanatics (I mean fans) and coaches for the visiting team were upset in the first situation and the home team were not happy in the second does not necessarily mean that you were wong in either in case.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 08:05am.