The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Inbounds foul?

Girls Soph game. Game is tied with 28 seconds left. A1 has the ball for a designated spot trow-in along B's end line. B is putting on a full court press. I administer the throw-in and tell A1 that she can move back as far as she needs to as well as told B1 not to cross the black end line. B1 obeys and comes right up to the end line but never crosses the line, jumping and yelling to prevent the throw-in. A1 either didn't hear me tell her she could move back (which I doubt) or didn't care to hear and is 6 inches from the end line. After 3 seconds of not being able to get a pass in and getting frusterated by the lack of space A1 using the ball pushes B1 in the stomach and displacing her and allowing her to inbound the ball to A2.

Is this an foul on A1 (obviously not a team control foul, because it was before the ball was inbounded)? I'd like to hear feedback and opinions on how to deal with this situation.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Girls Soph game. Game is tied with 28 seconds left. A1 has the ball for a designated spot trow-in along B's end line. B is putting on a full court press. I administer the throw-in and tell A1 that she can move back as far as she needs to as well as told B1 not to cross the black end line. B1 obeys and comes right up to the end line but never crosses the line, jumping and yelling to prevent the throw-in. A1 either didn't hear me tell her she could move back (which I doubt) or didn't care to hear and is 6 inches from the end line. After 3 seconds of not being able to get a pass in and getting frusterated by the lack of space A1 using the ball pushes B1 in the stomach and displacing her and allowing her to inbound the ball to A2.

Is this an foul on A1 (obviously not a team control foul, because it was before the ball was inbounded)? I'd like to hear feedback and opinions on how to deal with this situation.
Wow that is a new one...well did the throw in end when it was legally touched by B1 who was inbounds, and therefore by A1 also touching it, the ball is out of bounds off of A1, award B the ball at the spot? The option is always available for a tech if you view the act to be unsportsmanlike, but I'm not sure this would warrant a tech...I don't believe you can have a personal foul here - the definition references illegal contact with a variety of body parts, but the ball isn't mentioned...interested to hear other opinions on this one.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:15pm
We don't rent pigs

Like most things, this has been discussed here more than once. I see it as a common foul on A1.

10-6-1: A player shall not......push.......an opponent by extending arms.

The fact that the ball is used to do the actual pushing seems insignificant to me.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

You could get her with an intentional foul i guess, or you could call her for an OOB violation since the ball touched another player on the court and then her OOB. That might be the lesser of two evils. A intentional foul right here seem preety harsh, close game, possible freethrows. Not saying I wouldn't do it, just depends on how hard she pushed the girl. Sometimes they leave us with little choice. I'm sure I'll here it for this but it wouldn't be the same forum if I didn't.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
Wow that is a new one...well did the throw in end when it was legally touched by B1 who was inbounds, and therefore by A1 also touching it, the ball is out of bounds off of A1, award B the ball at the spot? The option is always available for a tech if you view the act to be unsportsmanlike, but I'm not sure this would warrant a tech...I don't believe you can have a personal foul here - the definition references illegal contact with a variety of body parts, but the ball isn't mentioned...interested to hear other opinions on this one.
This is a good one................I'm with you on ruling regarding legally touched, just a quick guess.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

OOB on A1.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think by Rule 4-42-4 that the throw-in has ended, so I don't know how it could be OOB on team A.....
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Like most things, this has been discussed here more than once. I see it as a common foul on A1.

10-6-1: A player shall not......push.......an opponent by extending arms.

The fact that the ball is used to do the actual pushing seems insignificant to me.
I'd have to agree that having the ball in her (or his) possession and using it to ward off the defender doesn't negate the common foul found in 10-6-1.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
OOB on A1.

A1 is legally out of bounds. Throw in has not ended.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
You could get her with an intentional foul i guess, or you could call her for an OOB violation since the ball touched another player on the court and then her OOB. That might be the lesser of two evils. A intentional foul right here seem preety harsh, close game, possible freethrows. Not saying I wouldn't do it, just depends on how hard she pushed the girl. Sometimes they leave us with little choice. I'm sure I'll here it for this but it wouldn't be the same forum if I didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
This is a good one................I'm with you on ruling regarding legally touched, just a quick guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
OOB on A1.
You cannot call OOB on A1 here. Unless the ball has been released for a throwin, the throwin is not over so A1 has the right to hold it while out of bounds.

If B1 grabs the ball, you have a held ball; not OOB on A1. Same concept.

Call the personal foul. You could conceivably call a technical foul for unsporting conduct, but I think a personal foul is best here.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think by Rule 4-42-4 that the throw-in has ended, so I don't know how it could be OOB on team A.....
I am having a hard time determining my call on this one, but I agree the throw-in has not ended and OOB would not be correct. Would it be OOB if the thrower held the ball over the line and the defender slapped it but did not cause the thrower to drop the ball? IMO, no, you just play on and continue your count.

I am going with it is a foul or no call. And like I said, I am not sure which
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
I am having a hard time determining my call on this one, but I agree the throw-in has not ended and OOB would not be correct. Would it be OOB if the thrower held the ball over the line and the defender slapped it but did not cause the thrower to drop the ball? IMO, no, you just play on and continue your count.

Think if the players are all inbounds during play. A1, standing at the top of the key with the ball, is similarly frustrated with B1's close defense and uses the ball to push her away.

Call the PC on this, IMO. It's an advantage not intended by the rules.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 using the ball pushes B1 in the stomach and displacing her and allowing her to inbound the ball to A2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Clearly there is an advantage gained, so how can you have a no-call here?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:12pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Think if the players are all inbounds during play. A1, standing at the top of the key with the ball, is similarly frustrated with B1's close defense and uses the ball to push her away.

Call the PC on this, IMO. It's an advantage not intended by the rules.
It's not a PC.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
It's not a PC.
Not in the OP, but it is in my altered situation.