The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Foul on shot causes travel.

As a player is going up for a try he is bumped. The bump causes the pivot foot that had been lifted on the try to return to the floor before the ball is released. The ball is released shortly after the pivot foot returns to the floor and the ball goes through the basket.
Do you count the basket or award two shots and disallow the basket.
I have also seen the bump cause the shooter to drag his pivot foot before releasing the ball on the try.
Thanks for the help.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I doubt if I'll see this travel if I'm watching the contact/foul.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Why would you disallow the basket? He was in the act of shooting.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

once the shooting motion starts, (ART. 3 . . . The try starts when the player begins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball. ) if the foul occurs after that point it is a shooting foul, if it occurs prior to that point, it is not a shooting foul

Fairly black and white the pivot foot has nothing to do with a try, unless you rule a travel before hand.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I will add if it's an airborne shooter who gets fouled, once he returns to the floor with the ball, it's gonna be two shots.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
once the shooting motion starts, (ART. 3 . . . The try starts when the player begins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball. ) if the foul occurs after that point it is a shooting foul, if it occurs prior to that point, it is not a shooting foul

Fairly black and white the pivot foot has nothing to do with a try, unless you rule a travel before hand.
Of course it's a shooting foul. That wasn't the question.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I doubt if I'll see this travel if I'm watching the contact/foul.
I just had this the other night. A1 gathers for his shot, gets bumped, then drags his pivot foot before releasing the ball.

Also what about a fast break where the player gathers for the shot, takes a hard smack, then takes an extra step before releasing the shot?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I just had this the other night. A1 gathers for his shot, gets bumped, then drags his pivot foot before releasing the ball.

Also what about a fast break where the player gathers for the shot, takes a hard smack, then takes an extra step before releasing the shot?
SECTION 11 CONTINUOUS MOTION
ART. 1 . . . Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.
ART. 2 . . . If an opponent fouls after a player has started a try for goal, he/she is permitted to complete the customary arm movement, and if pivoting or stepping when fouled, may complete the usual foot or body movement in any activity while holding the ball. These privileges are granted only when the usual throwing motion has started before the foul occurs and before the ball is in flight.

ART. 3 . . . Continuous motion does not apply if a teammate fouls after a player has started a try for a goal and before the ball is in flight. The ball becomes dead immediately.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I'll probably count those, just because I'm not watching the feet so closely when I've already called contact.

Have you ever seen a high level official wave a shot off for this reason? I haven't, and I doubt I'd want to be the first.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll probably count those, just because I'm not watching the feet so closely when I've already called contact.

Have you ever seen a high level official wave a shot off for this reason? I haven't, and I doubt I'd want to be the first.
I am guessing on this one you will need some help from your partners on the travel.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I am guessing on this one you will need some help from your partners on the travel.
Which you won't get, because I would be scoring the basket (in my mind) right with the calling official.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
SECTION 11 CONTINUOUS MOTION
ART. 1 . . . Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.
ART. 2 . . . If an opponent fouls after a player has started a try for goal, he/she is permitted to complete the customary arm movement, and if pivoting or stepping when fouled, may complete the usual foot or body movement in any activity while holding the ball. These privileges are granted only when the usual throwing motion has started before the foul occurs and before the ball is in flight.

ART. 3 . . . Continuous motion does not apply if a teammate fouls after a player has started a try for a goal and before the ball is in flight. The ball becomes dead immediately.
I'm missing your point Indy. I know I lead my association in ruling 'continous motion' on fouls. The "on the floor" call is a pet-peeve of mine.

Quote:

Even if the player obviously travels before releasing the shot? The play I had the other night A1 obviously dragged his pivot foot for all to see. I have no problem telling either coach that the foul caused the travel but I'm still giving him 2 shots.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Why would you disallow the basket? He was in the act of shooting.
The act of shooting ends when an airborne shooter returns to the floor.

Two FTs, no basket.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What are you talking about, where did I said I would call a violation? I said I would disallow the basket and award 2 shots.
Wow you're quick, I was editing and put in some have said but NOT you! Then just deleted it.

Ha! Talk about a New York second!!
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Wow you're quick, I was editing and put in some have said but NOT you! Then just deleted it.

Ha! Talk about a New York second!!
I'll delete the evidence.