The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Question

Here's the situation.

A1 shoots the ball and is being guarded by B1. After the shot is released, (1) B2 fouls A2 as they jockey for position for a possible rebound; (2) A2 fouls B2 as they jockey for position for a possible rebound. The shot of A1 goes in in both situations.

For situation (1), will free throws be awarded to either A1 or A2 if Team A is not in the bonus? How many free throws? How about if they are in the bonus?

For situation (2), will the basket of A1 count? If Team B is in the bonus, will B2 get to shoot free throws?

Please indicate the ruling for both NFHS and NCAA, if different.

Thanks.

Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

In both situations, under both rules codes, the ball does not become dead until the try ends. So, the basket will count and the penalty for the foul (FTs or the ball for a throw-in, depending on the number of team fouls) will be enforced.

Note that had the try been started but the ball had not been released, we'd have the same result on B's foul, but the ball would become immediately dead on A's foul.

Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

Count the baske in both cases. Give the ball OOB if the offended team is not in the bonus, shoot FTs if the team is in the bonus.
Also, if the team is in the bonus, make sure that you award the FTs to the player who was FOULED during the rebounding action, not the shooter. So in your cases, either A2 or B2 might shoot FTs, but NEVER A1.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Need a Casebook/ rule reference

I think I am a pretty good researcher, well until I started looking at the NFHS rule book. I need some help with this SITCH. I can't find a casebook on this exact play-can anyone point me in the right direction ?

I don't mind doing my own work but lord everytime I look try to look something up I end up having to start at the beginning and going through it page by page.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I think I am a pretty good researcher, well until I started looking at the NFHS rule book. I need some help with this SITCH. I can't find a casebook on this exact play-can anyone point me in the right direction ?

I don't mind doing my own work but lord everytime I look try to look something up I end up having to start at the beginning and going through it page by page.
6.7D, 6.7 Comment, 6.7 B
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Bob.....
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 04:20am
Official Forum Member

However even if you do this one right you may get some greif. NBA does it different and there will be some who scream....
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
However even if you do this one right you may get some greif. NBA does it different and there will be some who scream....
Let em.........