The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

End of game situation

Girls varsity game...two teams really needing a win. Close game all night (largest lead is perhaps 6 points for either team). Not the best played game I've seen, but very competitive and evenly matched.

With 2.1 seconds left in regulation, the home team has the ball in the frontcourt, opposite the table (sideline corner). I am the lead and I administer the throw in. She inbounds the ball and I "chop" the clock and take a quick look at the clock. It does not start. They make two passes and a take a couple dribbles and in my head, I'm already at three seconds. I immediately blow the whistle and wave my arms (as in the "no basket" motion) and run on to the floor towards the table. As I'm doing this, a shot goes up from beyond the 3 point line in front of the table. Naturally, the ball goes in and the home crowd goes wild (well, as wild as maybe 150 can be).

As I'm going towards the table, the visitors are saying the shot was too late, the home team is celebrating and the official timer is shaking his head. He knows he screwed up by not starting the clock. We get together and we're all in agreement that they shot was taken well after 2.1 seconds. Both of my partners noticed the clock not starting.

We go to overtime and the home team ends up winning by three points. Here's my question: Is there any way we could have "re-done" the last 2.1 seconds (this time with the clock starting)? That's what the home team coach wanted to do.

If the situation would have been 30 seconds to go and I notice the clock does not start, would you recommend "starting over" or taking the time off the clock (if we have definite knowledge of how much time elapsed, if we have a backcourt count, for example)?

We felt that with 2.1 seconds left and the play obviously took more than 2.1 seconds, the right thing to do was go to the overtime.

Your thoughts?
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

No "do-overs!"

Great job!
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 04:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Unless They Were Both Winless ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg144 View Post
Two teams really needing a win.
Good call. Also, how can two teams really need a win in early January? Mid-February? Sure. By then teams are trying to win their league, or conference, or our trying to get enough wins (eight in Connecticut) to get into the state tournament.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
No "do-overs!"
Great job having a count and knowing that time expired!

If there were thirty seconds left you could stop the clock and give the ball back to the team in possession after running time off the clock for the time that expired when the clock was not running.
But that is not a do over - you take time off the clock - once the ball comes in bounds and is legally touched time needs to come off the clock, if you establish that the clock did not run even if it is only 1 second.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 04:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
Great job having a count and knowing that time expired!

If there were thirty seconds left you could stop the clock and give the ball back to the team in possession after running time off the clock for the time that expired when the clock was not running.
But that is not a do over - you take time off the clock - once the ball comes in bounds and is legally touched time needs to come off the clock, if you establish that the clock did not run even if it is only 1 second.
Only if you have definite knowledge of how much time came off. (NFHS rules)
You can't take of 1 second if only half a second might have elapsed.
You're correct, I believe, for college.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

BillyMac-
By "really needing a win" I mean that both teams are having poor seasons (typically they have much better records) and any win is welcome. Each team saw this game as one they could win to help turn their season around. It was a non-league game (visiting team came from almost two hours away). The game meant nothing for their league standings, just a chance to get the season back on track.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Only if you have definite knowledge of how much time came off. (NFHS rules)
You can't take of 1 second if only half a second might have elapsed.
You're correct, I believe, for college.
True that is the College interpret, but if you count in your head - you have definate knowledge.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
True that is the College interpret, but if you count in your head - you have definate knowledge.
Agreed, my only quibble was with the idea that you have to take some time off if the ball was put in play, even if it's only one second. If you weren't counting, you can't do anything to it.