The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 12:12pm
#thereferee99

Inadvertant Whistle - What to do?

2 man crew, I'm lead away from table.
Player A1 receives pass in the post, turns to shoot, jumps to shoot, but realizes that B2 will block their shot. Player A1 immediately has that body language of "oh crap, I'm done for", but BEFORE they alight with the ball, someone (B1 or B2?) reaches in from below and pops the ball out of A1's hands. Unfortunately for me, my whistle apparently went off anticipating A1's return to the floor and the traveling violation.

So, I'm standing on the endline with hand raised. Partner is moving towards the other end (thinking travel -- as, I imagine, everyone in the gym was thinking too) and I'm just standing there sorting out what to do.

So, I had an inadvertent whistle with Team Control by Team A. Team A ball -- endline. I now know this, but no one else in the building does. How to communicate to partner & coaches what we have? Step out to free throw line extended and yell? Caucus with partner and switch, giving me a chance to communicate with coaches? Get ball in play as quickly as possible and communicate later? Just call the traveling violation and look for a make-up call?

I'll tell you I felt about a thousand miles from the table. So, looking for a good communication technique on IW.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Better to take away the confusion of what you're doing and why. Get with your partner and explain to the coaches like one of your suggestions. I might even yell "Inadvertent whistle, white is still in team control, white ball," and point to the location.

Make-up call, no way...Two wrongs do not make a right.

Be patient and see the whole play.

Last edited by shishstripes; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 12:52pm.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
So, I had an inadvertent whistle with Team Control by Team A. Team A ball -- endline. I now know this
Actually, you kicked this one, too. You said some player knocked the ball loose, which immediately preceeded your inadvertant whistle. Loose ball means you go to the arrow in this situation.

Quote:
Just call the traveling violation and look for a make-up call?
This is probably the worst thing you could do. 2 wrongs don't make a right. Get together with your partner, tell him/her what you have. Then call both coaches together, explain your situation, and move on.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 12:57pm
#thereferee99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
Actually, you kicked this one, too. You said some player knocked the ball loose, which immediately preceeded your inadvertant whistle. Loose ball means you go to the arrow in this situation.

This is probably the worst thing you could do. 2 wrongs don't make a right. Get together with your partner, tell him/her what you have. Then call both coaches together, explain your situation, and move on.
I would debate you on the Team Control issue. Team B never gained it. Team A never lost it.

I was hoping the double eek in the OP would suggest I was being facetious. No make-up calls.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 01:01pm
#thereferee99

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
Better to take away the confusion of what you're doing and why. Get with your partner and explain to the coaches like one of your suggestions. I might even yell "Inadvertent whistle, white is still in team control, white ball," and point to the location.
I did the step out and yell, but I felt like both benches were still confused. Didn't have a sense of resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
Be patient and see the whole play.
Rinse and repeat. I have since changed whistles. Last one seemed prone to going off early.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would debate you on the Team Control issue. Team B never gained it. Team A never lost it.
Looking at my rule book I think you're correct. Obviously an IW isn't ideal, but it just seems like arrow in this situation is more appropriate rather than team B getting hosed for making a good defensive play.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, you kicked this one, too. You said some player knocked the ball loose, which immediately preceded your inadvertent whistle. Loose ball means you go to the arrow in this situation.
Looks like ma_ref is the one doing the kicking.

Quote:
Looking at my rule book I think you're correct. Obviously an IW isn't ideal, but it just seems like arrow in this situation is more appropriate rather than team B getting hosed for making a good defensive play.
So you're going to set aside what you just read in the rule book and do your own thing?
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Tap your chest a few times and say loudly inadvertent whistle while facing the table and coaches. They'll get the message. ("My bad!") But don't cover it up with a made up violation.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 03:51pm
In Time Out

Can subs be let in after the inadvertent whistle? little blurb in the paper today about NCAA WCC refs getting suspended for allowing them in the final minute which isn't allowed.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Can subs be let in after the inadvertent whistle? little blurb in the paper today about NCAA WCC refs getting suspended for allowing them in the final minute which isn't allowed.
In FED, the subs are allowed anytime the ball is dead and the clock is stopped. Not true in NCAA.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Yes in Fed, no in NCAA in the last 59.9 3-4-6-a
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 05:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Go with what the rule says, please.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
So you're going to set aside what you just read in the rule book and do your own thing?
No that's not what I said. I looked at the rule book for the correct rule. What seems like the correct thing to do and what is the correct thing to do are often 2 very different things, as is this case.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No that's not what I said. I looked at the rule book for the correct rule. What seems like the correct thing to do and what is the correct thing to do are often 2 very different things, as is this case.
What seems correct is only a problem for those who don't know the rule. To everyone else what is actually correct seems correct.