The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 08, 2002, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I noticed in the Pac 10 tournament that the crews were wearing the gray NBA style shirts.

They look sharp and I am wondering if this is going to be the next style change for basketball officials?
Old Fri Mar 08, 2002, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Peach Belt officials are also wearing these. I like them, but I don't want to be forced to spend the bucks to buy them.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2002, 01:30pm
Esteemed Participant

Interesting...I don't remember seeing those shirts during the regular season games...wonder why they are using them now??
Old Fri Mar 08, 2002, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Here's my take:

Suppose that "many years ago" the official uniform had become the gray shirt. THen, the NBA started to wear B&W stripes. Then, a few college officials started to wear B&W stripes.

I'd guess that many amateur officials would be saying how "sharp" the B&W stripes looked and wondering if we could change to the "cool new look."
Old Fri Mar 08, 2002, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, I have a neon green blazer with tails from an era gone by. I think I'll try it over my stripes next year. If you start seeing refs wearing neon green, remember you saw it here first!

BTW, how much are those grey shirts? I might as well start saving my pennies now becuase I think the v-neck is going to go the way of the dodo.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2002, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

I have never seen these shirts in any of the regular equipment sites Honigs, Lesters, etc... I suspect that they are being promoted by one of the major shirt manufactures and given on a try basis to these conferences.

Start saving your pennies!
Old Fri Mar 08, 2002, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

they're hideous

I've been at the Pac-10 tourney, covering it for my school's tv station-so I've been close enough to see how bad they look on these guys. The heavier guys look terrible in them-I'm not sure if it's because of the cut, or because the "pinstripes" don't exactly flatter the middle region of the male body!

Definitely not a fan-they should've done a solid grey if they wanted a change.
Old Sun Mar 10, 2002, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

The Peach Belt, Atlantic Sun, Ohio Valley Conference and several other conferences in the southeast wear these. I am personally in those leagues and love the gray shirts. I do agree, the gray does not look good on heavier set individuals. But I really like the gray. I hope it becomes the standard. After wearing the gray I don't enjoy wearing the old stripes and would gladly trade my stripes in for a few more gray shirts.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ripian
Grey Shirts

In Alberta we wear 2 different styles of shirts depending on the level of ball we do. We in fact have a "grey" shirt that is worn for high school and below. For college and University we'll wear the stripes. Personally I like the stripes; I find the material allows you to stay cooler when you are on the floor.

check out the link to see a couple of pictures of the shirt...

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/ripian/photo.htm
Old Fri Mar 15, 2002, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

I first saw the shirts in the Duke vs. Davidson game on ESPN in early January. The Officials choice is the only place I have seen them for sale.

http://www.theofficialschoiceinc.com
Old Fri Mar 15, 2002, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Ian,

I'd just be happy if they allowed us to wear shorts when we ref.

Noticed from the pics that it seems to be permitted in your Alberta association. It does appear that the games are being held outdoors though so I guess that has some bearing.

Ren