The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 12:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

He Gets His Name In the Paper ...

Last night, boys varsity game, visitors leading by twenty points with less than two minutes to play. Junior varsity players, who dressed, and sat on the end of the bench, for the varsity game, from both teams, are sent to the "X" as substitutes. Play continues up and down the court with no whistle to stop the clock. I ask the home coach, since he's way behind, if he wants me to get the substitutes in the game, and he replies, "Yes, please". After a basket by the home team, I blow the whistle, yell to my partner, "Black ball", and bend down to retie my shoe, after which I called for substitutes. Parents got a good laugh out of that. Visiting coach jokingly asks, "What's the ruling on that?", to which I reply that he could have helped me with a time out request, to which he replies that he didn't want to delay the game with a timeout. By the way, one of the junior varsity substitutes got a basket, and by the way the bench erupted, I think it was his first varsity points.

After the game, my partner and I were discussing the play, and he suggested that the shoe tying appeared "bush", as would be to simply blow the whistle to stop the game, only, for the substitutes. He suggested I pretend to adjust my contacts (I don't wear contacts), or pretend to talk to the table, pointing at the scoreboard, as I do so.

Forum opinions please? I will accept all opinions, from, "It's not our role as officials.", to "Just blow your whistle and get the substitutes in". Full disclosure. I was the twelfth man on a twelve man, undefeated freshman team, who sat in front of the table, on more than one occasion, to see the clock wind down and never get in the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 12:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Billy, I saw a playoff game once where the official simply stopped the game and let the subs in in a blowout. No pretense whatsoever. I see nothing wrong with an "inadvertent" whistle here. In HS, subs come in during IWs.

And I see no reason to go through all the pretense of "talking to the table," tying your shoe, fixing a contact lense, etc. Hell, the point of contact lenses is so no one knows I use corrective lenses.

Last edited by Adam; Sat Jan 03, 2009 at 01:08pm.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Hit the Whistle, get the subs in...

Yes, I know there are no rules that supports this, but in the spirit of the game I believe you are justified to bring these kids in.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen it many times over the years of playing, officiating, and spectating that officials will bring in subs (during a blowout game) by simply blowing the play dead and bringing them in (usually after a made basket). I would have no problem with this and haven't encountered a coach that would. I usually do ask the coach when I pass by if they want the subs in. I try to catch both but I don't always get a chance. If I'm not bench-side, I use my best judgment (which some coaches think is lacking anyways )

-Josh
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I live in "Bush" Alaska (where we are all about PT due to the cost of travel) and I have no problem with what you did. Your P's comments tell me its not about the kids so much anymore. Other than stopping the game for less than a minute what did you do? Got some young players more PT than they would have got otherwise in a game that was all but over already. Regardless if you make up a whistle or just blow it and let them in, I have no problem.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

I've done both...tied my shoe and just called them in. Either way works. You got them in.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

"Good call, ref"- cheers-Nick
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 05:10am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't bother with the shoe tying. The game is about the kids. Get the kids in the game in this situation.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

A NFHS basic tenet in all sports is to maximize participation. Your call clearly embodied that tenet. Good work!
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 07:10pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
2-3 at its finest.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Its not bush, and I agree with the others -- if you are going to do it, just do it. No pretense needed.

However, in a varsity game, I'm probably not going to do it absent a particularly pressing situation that I've been made aware of before the game -- e.g. special needs kid getting in or something like that.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 11:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Its not bush, and I agree with the others -- if you are going to do it, just do it. No pretense needed.

However, in a varsity game, I'm probably not going to do it absent a particularly pressing situation that I've been made aware of before the game -- e.g. special needs kid getting in or something like that.
In a blowout, I'm doing it at any level (except maybe for college.)
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Good call BillyMac